Self Study and Up gradation RRS feed

• Question

• It's very common and happens almost with everyone who is tech-savy to lose focus on learning a particular technology. For e.g., One day I will visit some site...read some stuff....then another day another tech ....and so on...... It's very important that we focus and concentrate on learning one thing at a time and concentrating on it. It requires planning. For e.g., plan on a particular topic  (for e.g., VB.Net), work on it for say one/two month, master it and don't get disturbed with anything else in between and once mastered then move to next and so on. Work timings are very vague here. Procrastination is also a problem sometimes. And more

What is your planning? Could you give me some gentle suggestions? Thanks in advance to all who reply Smile.

Realizing this early will help us....Until we would have repented with our wrong decisions.

Javed Ahmed
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:40 AM

Answers

• by my opinion, you haven't to plan anything, when your are visiting a site.
    There's too many things to know and the number grows on and on (over and over? - I'm not sure of my English :o)))

I think you must stabilize an overview of the general argument of which you are acquiring particular knowledge. And you must try to not procrastinate to apprehend the 'overview' (a particular knowledge without its general knowledge is dangerous, before unuseful).

If you plan something, you plan also one more stress. If you don't plan and explore to know, you maintain your desire to learn.

I hope I have understood your need.
    please, mark this as answer if it is THE answer
    ----------------
    Diego Cattaruzza
    Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic: Development
    blog: http://community.visual-basic.it/Diego
    web site: http://www.visual-basic.it
    • Marked as answer by Javed Ahmed Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:09 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:50 AM

All replies

• This is a common problem faced by many including me many a times. To resolve this situation, what can be done is, be determined to learn one particular technology say WPF .Net 3.5  via ebook or some other source. Only after finishing that you can proceed further. 

I am facing a similar situation to learn Silverlight and WPF both at a time. So I now came to know that if I am good in WPF then silverlight would be easier. So I am learning WPF first thoroughly. I also prepare notes as I read to help me remember for longer duration and it has worked for me.

Just be determined and focused to complete one and only then think of other things. 

Please mark the answer as Correct if applicable
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:27 AM
  • by my opinion, you haven't to plan anything, when your are visiting a site.
    There's too many things to know and the number grows on and on (over and over? - I'm not sure of my English :o)))

I think you must stabilize an overview of the general argument of which you are acquiring particular knowledge. And you must try to not procrastinate to apprehend the 'overview' (a particular knowledge without its general knowledge is dangerous, before unuseful).

If you plan something, you plan also one more stress. If you don't plan and explore to know, you maintain your desire to learn.

I hope I have understood your need.
    please, mark this as answer if it is THE answer
    ----------------
    Diego Cattaruzza
    Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic: Development
    blog: http://community.visual-basic.it/Diego
    web site: http://www.visual-basic.it
    • Marked as answer by Javed Ahmed Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:09 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Javed,

If you can drive a car you can drive a Mercedes, a BMW, a Volvo, a ......................................................................................

Or do you do a course for all of those brands?

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Javed,

If you can drive a car you can drive a Mercedes, a BMW, a Volvo, a ......................................................................................

Or do you do a course for all of those brands?

Success
    Cor

Hi Cor,

With that analogy, are you trying to say that learning more than one subject at a time is a good thing or a bad thing?

Okay a car is a car, is one subject but different types of car?

What about different flavours of BASIC such as;

Vb1 through to VB6, VBA, VisualBasicScript, Vb.Net, GwBasic, DarkBasic, Spectrum Basic ( okay that one is on an old 8 bit micro ),
    MSX Basic and all the other versions on 8 bit microcomputers?

They are all variations of BASIC with some similarities and quite a lot of differences.  :-D

Regards,

John
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:05 AM