WDP - Problems and a big shame to romanians working for Microsoft....

General discussion

• First, considering the very big number of romanian working there, IS STILL POSIBLE TO DON'T KNOW THE INITIALS OF YOUR COUNTRY ????

In METRO UI , Logon and Logoff screens or in the Desktop Taskbar if Romania is selected as LOCALE instead of ROM or RUM wich are officials shortcuts for ROMANIA it shows RON !!!

Now other problems:

Metro UI - you should add an close button for applications - I know that should be managed by the sistem, but this is not a phone...

I have to install twice - first install using Custom settings was problematic - First there was no NEXT button in first page after selecting Custom, but it select by himself after 10 seconds, however later I've run in a problem  - at each restart I got a clean sistem - like an fresh reinstall - in what concerns the settings and history...

Got an "?" in Device Manager for Microsoft Root Enumerator and Realtek Optical Input/Output Drivers - they are installed corectly however.

No Hardware acceleration available in some media players, even with latest video drivers installed. But others works well.

If selecting an screensaver - Bubbles - I got it running on a blank screen instead of the desktop...

Some time Task Manager is empty... Got it back after restart...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Regarding the abbreviation "RON", you refer to country; do you perhaps mean the Romanian language as it appears in the input language switching UI?

If so, thanks for that feedback. This abbreviation is based on the ISO 639 standard, which uses "ron" for Romanian. The "rom" code is used for the Romani language. "rum" is an alternate code used in ISO 639 for Romanian; perhaps that will work for Romanian speakers while maintaining a distinct abbreviation for Romani? We haven't concluded how to deal with this, but will give it further consideration.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hello

I want to ad, that in that menu (language and keyboard)  for country SLOVAKIA you have SLK, but official shortcut si SVK, you got it right in Win 7, vhy did you mess it up in win 8?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:52 PM
  • @messvk: Can you please clarify for me: I'm not quite sure what you're comparing to in Windows 7. In Windows 7, abbreviations for input languages are always 2 letters, and "SK" was used. The ISO 3-letter code for the Slovak language is "slk". "svk" is the country code used by the International Olympic Committee. I'm not aware of anywhere that country codes are exposed in either Windows 7 or Windows 8 UI.

If it makes a difference, please keep in mind that the UI is showing abbreviations for languages, not countries.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:52 PM