Migration of a CE 5.0 product to Windows Mobile 6.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to migrate a CE 5.0 product to Windows Mobile 6.5. Please let me know what are the things need to be taken care.

Regards,
    Noushad
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:44 PM

Answers

• In general you would need to do couple things:

- Remove all CE 5.0 device specific functionality your app is using and replace it with WM 6.5 equivalent (or eliminate need for it).
    - Change UI to match different screen size and other OS specific details (e.g. menu location).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:29 PM
  • To build a Windows Mobile device you need to work as OEM with Microsoft which will involve setting up special NDA. What I can tell you is developing a Windows Mobile device is not as straightforward as a Windows CE device. This is all for good reasons, as Microsoft intends to control the way Windows Mobile is placed in the market. Your product has to fulfill certain hardware requirements for WM, which it looks like should be fine for your product. You have not mentioned the Memory and Display types.

Besides, there might be lots of changes required in the BSP/bootloader. Migration information is available as part of AKU (Adaptation Kit Update) documentation. AKUs are only provided to OEMs. Also any indepth technical discussion of Windows Mobile device development (e.g. in forums) is not allowed.

In short, talk to Microsoft.

- Onkar
    http://www.42gears.com
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:59 AM

All replies

• In general you would need to do couple things:

- Remove all CE 5.0 device specific functionality your app is using and replace it with WM 6.5 equivalent (or eliminate need for it).
    - Change UI to match different screen size and other OS specific details (e.g. menu location).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. Actually I am looking for OS migration not for app migration, app migration will be the later stage in my project.

Currently the hand held product has Win CE 5.0 which need to replace with WM 6.5. Currently product supported features are:  802.11 a/b/g,  Bluetooth® 2.0 + EDR, WPA or WPA2 security,  WWAN, GSM/GPRS, GPS receiver, Barcodes,  Display and Keyboard properties (touch screen, function keys, alpha numeric keys), Interfaces( USB Host & Client,  Powered RS-232,  Ethernet etc) etc.

My understaning is to migrate this product to WM, get the WM binaries from Microsoft and pull required drivers from current Win CE OS image
    and put in to new WM OS image. As WM on top of WinCE, changes in drivers will be very less. (Please share what are the changes required here).

Also I feel there will not be any chanegs requried in BSP/boot loader. Please correct me if my understaning is wrong or if anything I am missing here please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Noushad
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:39 AM
  • To build a Windows Mobile device you need to work as OEM with Microsoft which will involve setting up special NDA. What I can tell you is developing a Windows Mobile device is not as straightforward as a Windows CE device. This is all for good reasons, as Microsoft intends to control the way Windows Mobile is placed in the market. Your product has to fulfill certain hardware requirements for WM, which it looks like should be fine for your product. You have not mentioned the Memory and Display types.

Besides, there might be lots of changes required in the BSP/bootloader. Migration information is available as part of AKU (Adaptation Kit Update) documentation. AKUs are only provided to OEMs. Also any indepth technical discussion of Windows Mobile device development (e.g. in forums) is not allowed.

In short, talk to Microsoft.

- Onkar
    http://www.42gears.com
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thansk for the information.

Could you please let me know what are the certain hardware requirements for WM6.5. 
    So I can compare with my hardware specifications will it be compatible or not. First I want to make sure that in my device I can put WM.
    Then I can discuss with Microsoft.

Regards
    Noushad
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:20 AM