Active directory question RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to develop application that will use AD as data storage.

Basicaly I need to store userids, usernames and passwords in one folder so that users will use these usernames and passwords on the login screen of my application for authentication.

And then I need another folder for each userid where user will be saving, reading, editing his contacts.

This is how the contact object will look like:

public class Contact
        {
            public String FirstName { get; set; }
            public String LastName { get; set; }
            public String PhoneNumber { get; set; }
            public String MobilePhone { get; set; }
            public String Email1 { get; set; }
            public String Email2 { get; set; }
        }

How do I do is?

Is this solution good or it would be better if I would use MS SQL ? 

Whats the difference between AD and MS SQL ? Does AD read faster than MS SQL ?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

MS SQL is far better because you can easily delete, update, save view the data using MS SQL because it has stored procedures, also the stored procedures are very fast in execution.

You can also define the properties like you have shown in your code and use lambda expressions to get or set these properties, but it isn't a very professional approach, and if you have many users than you must use data bases!

I hope this post was helpful to you!

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Lisa Zhu Friday, July 27, 2012 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa Zhu Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Hi RokoLAB ,

- "Whats the difference between AD and MS SQL " :

SQl Server is a server based database.

Access is used as local database.

Access is used for small desktop size databases used by less then 5 users at the same time. It has a front end gui system to design applications quickly.

SQL Server is a more robust system and is able to handle large amounts of users as well as data sizes. There is no front end gui system so it will require other development tools (Visual Studios, .NET, VB, C++, ect.).

Please also check it link out , it will be helpful :http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_access/tutorial/microsoft_access_versus_sql_server.cfm

- Does AD read faster than MS SQL ?

Please have a look at these links .

http://bytes.com/topic/sql-server/answers/880686-why-sql-server-faster-than-access

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3724279/sql-server-vs-ms-access-performance

Regards ,

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Proposed as answer by Lisa Zhu Friday, July 27, 2012 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:59 AM
  • we use both systems, but SQL for system data storage and AD for security related things. AD is obviously the best option if you need the security related things, say you need to integrate with outlook or security with domain. Thing is, your network team should be aware of it and maybe you will need their help while somethign goes wrong.

SQL is to store data that can be easily modified with proper priviledge given by SQL Admin. If you are quite comfortable with SQL DML, then maybe this is better option. It would be complex for you to store and check data access things, you can have normalized tabular structure to store whatever information you may need for those users.

regards

joon

• Proposed as answer by Lisa Zhu Friday, July 27, 2012 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:34 AM

All replies