none
Group of companies website structure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been asked to  create a website for a company which contains group of companies, for designing the structure of website, I thing about 2 solutions, 

1. Create a website and put all companies information in several pages.

2. Create a homepage for group and create an independent website for each company

I would appreciate if you guide me about advantage and disadvantage of my options. Please don't hesitate to let me know further choice if you have.

Regards,

Hady.B

Saturday, November 28, 2015 6:55 AM

All replies

• Well the first thing you need to do when considering a job is to get the requirements from the customer.

What do they want?

Do they even care if there is a "home" page for the overall company? Or is it more important that each company has its own separate website?

From the perspective of search engines being able to find the products of each company, it would seem advisable for each company to have its own website, so I would imagine that option 2 with or without an  overall home page for the overall company.

Clark Kurtz  AKA  HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

• Edited by ClarkNK Saturday, November 28, 2015 5:02 PM typo
    Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response, your response is very useful and valuable

But, I want to know whats you recommendation about  this project, and what kind of technology you offer? 

Thanks

Sunday, November 29, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Well what you asked was basically whether each company should have its own website, and I answered that, whether there is an overall Home page or not.

There is no reason not to have an overall homepage -- it cant hurt anything, but you should still, in my opinion, have individual websites for each company, and that overall "home" page would link to them.

I don't know what you mean by "what kind of technology you offer"?

This is a forum of users. We don't offer any technology. Folks here use Expression Web and Visual Studio Express (both free) as their primary design tools. A few use Dreamweaver, but it is expensive.

The only thing anyone here "offers" is advice, and some, who are in the website business, offer their design services.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 1:49 PM
  • You "... have been asked..." Does this mean that you are acting as a professional Web developer? If so, then this is the kind of decision you should arrive at after a sit-down requirements meeting with your clients, where you describe the pros and cons of each approach. It is not something that you should farm out to a group of complete strangers who have no idea of the circumstances involved, who the client is, what are the relationships between the various companies, what their relationships are to the "parent" company, and so forth.

Any answer we could provide would be totally meaningless, based upon insufficient information, since the answer might be changed completely depending upon the nature of the relationships described above. For example, a crafting company, which has companies that do gourd burning, low-relief wood carving, and glass etching, would definitely benefit from having an umbrella site, from which each of the specialty sites are accessed. OTOH, if the companies are a body shop, a house painting concern, and a résumé-writing service, then there is no unifying element there to justify having an umbrella site.See the point?

That you are even asking this question, and seem to be unaware of how inappropriate it is, makes it sound as if you have not done this kind of thing before. If you are in fact an amateur, you are doing your prospective clients no favors by intimating to them that you can provide professional-level results when you have only an amateur skill level. Just sayin'...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 6:58 PM
  • There is no reason not to have an overall homepage -- it cant hurt anything, but you should still, in my opinion, have individual websites for each company, and that overall "home" page would link to them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Martinism,

followthesteps - ASP.NET applications.

• Edited by martinism Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:33 PM
  • martinism,

The decision to have an overall homepage is entirely up to the client, not us.  We don't know the nature of the companies, or how they want their public presence known.

As an example, EIG, the big hosting company buyer, does not publicize what hosts they own (for good reason: people unhappy with one jump to another they own, not knowing they are jumping out of the fire back into the fire).  Their home page does not link to their 40+ hosting company home pages, and in fact, lists only 15 under their Brands page, with marketing blurbs and links for those.

The client and the web designer need to talk about what the client wants to achieve, and decide themselves what makes sense.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Heh -- that's really weird. That response wasn't Martinism's -- I wrote that. I have no idea why it does not show as from ClarkNK instead of Martinism.

And, yes I agree (as indicated in my very first response) that it is up to the client whether they want an overall homepage or not. But, either way, it would seem individual websites are appropriate (which should be explained to the client if they dont see why)

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:47 AM