The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Lockscreen integration with custom tile RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

my app uses a custom tile - it creates an image from a control, renders it as png and shows it on the tile.
    All works as expected.

Now I wanted to add Lockscreen notification text support to my app.

This requires setting the "WideBackContent" on the FlipTile data and adding the extions to the manifest, which also works.

BUT: Now this lockscreen text is shown on the background of the live tile too (!), which I do NOT want since the live tile is (as written above) a custom tile.

MSDN documentation says that the lockscreen text is taken from this "WideBackContent".

Is this rally true?!
    If yes, this means, it's not possible to use a custom live tile and lockscreen text in combination.

best regards,
    Hannes

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• If you're using a custom image for both front and back of a flip tile, and your app support Wide tile, then yes this is would be a problem.

WideBackContent was selected because it is the least likely to be used.

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Good question.  I have exactly the same issue.

It seems strange that the Lockscreen notification text  totally separate from the Tile attributes.

With a custom tile  that you have constructed then you don't want it flipping with the text that is really only being set for the Lockscreen.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:31 AM
  • Eric.  The problem is not whether you have a custom background image on the tile as well.

The issue is that if you want to provide lockscreen text then you are forced to have a wide tile that flips to include that text.   When you have one to the trouble and effort of putting out a custom tile  then its unlikely that you would want that  custom tile flipping to show the lockscreen text.

Good point re the suggestions box.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Eric,

I know that's not your fault but maybe you can forward this issue to the dev team?

When I see thinkgs like this I get the impression that the API was designed by a MS trainee...

Why is there no separate property/API/class for setting a lockscreen text?
    Using a property of the live tile text for this makes no sense in my opinion.

Beside the problems mentioned here, what if my app wants to show a different text on the wide live tile background and on the lockscreen?

best regards,
    Hannes

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:59 AM
  •   The feedback site: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ is the best way to make these concerns visible to the product group.

FYI: An app does not need to support wide tile in order for this to work.  You can include "WideBackContent" in the Tile payload even if your you don't check the "Support for large Tiles" option in the projects WMAppManifest.xml. 

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:06 PM