Can the XNA framework be used in custom services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm toying with the idea of trying to create a media-rich interactive program with VPL that does not use the Microsoft Robotics Simulator in any way.  I searched through the available services and found that there really aren't any that provide this kind of functionality (not terribly surprising since game/simulation design independent of the Simulator is not what VPL was intended for).  I am therefore planning to code my own custom services in C# to this end.  The XNA framework would provide very useful components for this game/simulation functionality so I was wondering-- is it possible to include the XNA framework in custom services for VPL?  What about other useful frameworks like Dark GDK.NET; could they possibly be used for this?

thanks,

Jeff

Monday, May 10, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

• You can use XNA, but you have to use a managed interface. The same applies to any other package you want to use. This often means writing a "wrapper" to convert from unmanaged C++ APIs to managed C# APIs.

Trevor

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• You can use XNA, but you have to use a managed interface. The same applies to any other package you want to use. This often means writing a "wrapper" to convert from unmanaged C++ APIs to managed C# APIs.

Trevor

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

You might want to check out SimplySim, as they have a beta of their simulator available, which is implemented in XNA, and is stand-alone. I tried it out, and its pretty early days yet, but it might be worth considering.

Tom

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:32 PM