AD roaming profiles in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a customer that described a problem with roaming profiles, that users don'g log off and the last write wins scenario happens.

They mentioned to me that storing these roaming profiles in Sharepoint can solve it since Sharepoint cant handle multiple writes to a file. I have done a quite a bit of searching about this setup but haven't found a single example of this. Does anyone know about how Sharepoint can solve the roaming profile problem?

Thanks

/Daniel

Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

• Using SharePoint over a mapped drive/UNC isn't a good idea. You'll end up running into reliability problems. This is what OneDrive for Business is for, to have users save their documents to their MySite. I've heard of some using Group Policies to redirect the Documents folder to a ODfB folder (the location physically on the client machine). The only issue with this is that ODfB cannot be configured through GPOs.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:57 PM

All replies

• SharePoint has nothing to do with roaming profiles, so your question doesn't make a lot of sense. Do they mean storing shared/personal documents in SharePoint instead of a file share? It can certainly do that.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:14 PM
  • I thought it would sound strange. :)

But in Active Directory you have to specifiy a path to a share where all profiles are stored. Then someone popped the question if you could point out a document library(that has been mapped as a network drive) that could handle versioning to avoid the problem with last write wins.

Monday, May 2, 2016 10:06 AM
  • Using SharePoint over a mapped drive/UNC isn't a good idea. You'll end up running into reliability problems. This is what OneDrive for Business is for, to have users save their documents to their MySite. I've heard of some using Group Policies to redirect the Documents folder to a ODfB folder (the location physically on the client machine). The only issue with this is that ODfB cannot be configured through GPOs.

Trevor Seward

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:57 PM