none
Can not ctrl+v a color RRS feed

• General discussion

• Can not ctrl+v a color number (for example if I selected the color code (ctrl+c) in Photoshop.

Michael Janik

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• True...

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Why are you assuming EW is like PhotoShop?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Kathy - I really thank you for answering so quickly. Copying and pasting a color number is a normal thing to do using photoshop or any other program. Even within EW you copy and paste color numbers when you work as a professional web designer.

Michael Janik

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I was reacting to your reference to PhotoShop.  Asking if EW can do something is different from comparing it to another program that has a different purpose.

Regardless, as you said, you can paste colors into EW.  You need to be using the right interface.  The toolbar styling icons don't fully replace what you can do through the interfaces to create CSS styles yourself.

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I also see CTRL+V fails for me (EW4 on XP) but I notice if you 'right-hand click' and use the paste option it does work! :¬)

Amusingly the 'right-click' menu displays the CTRL+V shortcut!

Monday, October 29, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Badgerer, if you can get that to work in the menu he shows in his post, I'll be surprised.  It certainly doesn't for me.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Actually, although Ctrl-V does not work in that dialog (nor does my Logitech mouse's "right-tilt scroll wheel to paste" assigned function), right-click in that hex field followed by "Paste" does work.

I would never have known that, because using that interface creates a bunch of crappy embedded auto-style# garbage CSS, so I would never use that method in production work, but there you are.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Interesting difference, Scott.  It doesn't for me.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Now, that is interesting. But, it's kinda moot, anyway, since I can't imagine why anyone would use a method which produces embedded auto-styles.

<<shrug>>

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Even within EW you copy and paste color numbers when you work as a professional web designer.

True enough. And, as a "professional web designer" it would behoove one to design a page correctly, without autostyles. I certainly have no trouble using ctrl+v to paste color codes in my CSS.

BTW, regarding your reference to PhotoShop, I have never used it, so I can't comment on how you do things with it. What I am certain of though, is that it is definitely a professional-grade program, and that I could quite easily use it to produce completely worthless graphics. I can only hope that you will see the parallel with EW.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:45 AM
  • Look, I understand that many IT guys like playing in code and in code only. But I am a visual person and I like to experiment with colors. And therefore this tool that is provided by EW (for a reason) comes quite handy. Besides I don't want to write for every little color I use a css rule.

@fchdJim
    Autostyles do not make a site incorrectly. At the end the result counts. 

@Badgerer
    Thank you for providing the solution to this Bug.

Michael Janik

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Can not ctrl+v a color number (for example if I selected the color code (ctrl+c) in Photoshop

Michael Janik

Any particular reason you don't use EWs built in color picker?

It's right there on the toolbar.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:49 PM
  • The point is that the eye picker doesn't work outside of EW and it would be not that comfortable even if it would.

Michael Janik

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:17 AM
  • The point is that you're using a 3rd party program to perform a function that is built into EW.

Kind of like going to Philadelphia from New York city by way of Los Angeles.

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:31 PM
  • "The point is that the eye picker doesn't work outside of EW"

Actually, it does - for me, anyway.  If you had a document open with the colors you are using, for example, you could pick them with EW's color picker.  This applies both in the toolbar color dropdown, and in the normal CSS creater wizard.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Heh, heh... yep, works for me, too. I don't suppose it matters much, though. So far, the OP's posting history appears to indicate that he's more interested in complaining about the way things work in EW, especially compared to FrontPage (and now Photoshop?!), than in actually getting answers.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:29 PM
  • @paladyn

If you would work as a professional web designer you would work with Photoshop or similar software and you would know what I mean. 

I never said I want a function from Photoshop in EW. Just read the first entry on this site. I just want to paste a color code in EW with ctr+c which is not working. Therefore it is a Bug because it worked in the previous version of the is software (Frontpage - As far you can call it a previous version)

It seems to me that some of you defend EW mindlessly. You can not see or agree with obvious Bugs in EW and instead prefer to offend forum users like me. 

fcphdJim got it right in the beginning.

If something worked in Frontpage why should it work in later versions like EW4. Very simple!

KathyW2

I just saw that the color picker works when I put the two windows side by side. Witch is a pain in the ass. But this was not the issue I started the thread.

Michael Janik

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Michael,

Complaining that EW doesn't function the way that you want is not the same as a bug.  A bug is when it does something incorrectly.  A desired feature is when it doesn't do something you want it to.

Frankly, we can sometimes tell you how to do what you are trying to do using EW's current feature set. We *cannot* change or add features, so there is no point harping on that.  That's for MS to do (or not, if the changes are not in high demand).  The same applies if you actually encounter a bug.

(FrontPage was not a previous version of EW.  Two different programs.  FrontPage was dropped.  EW was a new web development tool targeted toward professionals, with encouragement for former FrontPage users to give it a try.)
    • Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:28 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 7:01 PM
  • If you would work as a professional web designer you would work with Photoshop or similar software and you would know what I mean.

Actually, Michael, I do work as a professional Web designer. And I have owned and used Photoshop from version 5.5 all the way through to today's PS CS6 (as well as the other applications in the Design and Web Premium Creative Suite).

As a Web professional, I also know better than to use EW's formatting icons to create one-up styles, instead of properly planning and creating styles in advance and putting them where they belong, with appropriate and informative names.

Therefore it is a Bug because it worked in the previous version of the is software (Frontpage - As far you can call it a previous version)

But you cannot call it a previous version. EW is an entirely new program, directed to and suited for a professional workflow. The fact that EW does not do something the way that FP did does not comprise a bug in the program. And the fact that it does not do something the way that you want it to certainly does not, particularly when that behavior is not considered best practice by a consensus of industry professionals.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:33 PM
  • @Katy and @paladyn

Of course it is a bug if you can enter numbers by typing them one by one but not enter the same numbers by ctr+v. If you have a tool within EW where you can type in code you would expect that you could enter the same code by ctr+v. Is that so hard to understand? Only because you don't use this tool in EW? It is a tool within EW and should function as expected. Imagine you couldn't ctr+v in EW in a normal div (theoretically spoken) - would you recommend then that I should type all my texts by hand and would you still not consider it as a bug? Why are you so keen on your idea that EW is flawless? Are you paid to discredit all critics of this software?  Or you just like to argue? 

Michael Janik

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:28 AM
  • As every other person in this thread has mentioned, auto-styles are not really a good thing. In fact, I wish they would be excised from the application.

The field can be pasted into. Just copy the hex value from your desired application, highlight the value there in that drop-down font color box, right-click and choose paste. That ctrl+v doesn't work as expected is something for MS to resolve (or not).

And you can copy the value from that font color box in order to paste into your CSS. Whether the quasi entry-only state is an oversight or by design, only MS knows for certain. You could post into the appropriate place for it being changed to an entry field and people could then vote as to whether they would like to see it change behavior.

You can paste the hex value into the color box within the CSS file too. Which would be the appropriate place to edit and color elements of a web page. After the color: keyword in your CSS file, type # and you will be presented with a choice of colors. Use the ...Pick color entry. In the window that appears, paste the hex code for the color you desire into the upper right box. That's all that is needed.

Seems simple enough to me.

Take care, Mike

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I control + v all the time for colors. I do it in the CSS properties panel and have never had a problem. I use Fireworks for my web graphics not Photoshop (I use that for my photography, which it is superb at but Fireworks is much better for the web.)

I also use it copy/pasting from Colozilla (Firefox extension) and other programs. In some of them the # doesn't copy but that has more to do with how each program puts their colors in whatever place I'm copying from than EW. Seems to me it is a problem for you because you expect the program to work the way you do and not the way it was intended. If I already have the color I don't need to use the picker and can simply put it directly in the CSS properties whether through the CSS Properties Panel or using Modify Styles (however which way you want to trigger it.)

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:13 PM
  • "would you recommend then that I should type all my texts by hand"

No, I'd recommend you paste it in a way that works.  "Copy/Paste" for example.  And my point still stands: argue all you want about how you wish EW worked, but we are not MS.  Talk to them and try and make your case.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Thank you MikeWenzloff - I will use the right mouse click menu as a work around in the rare cases I am not using the CSS-Style sheet.

Michael Janik

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:24 AM
  • Michael,

In looking into this further, unless MS makes the text color drop-down a modal window (one that needs completed before returning to another window such as the split view, code view, etc.) then this behavior is not something they can change.

I seriously doubt they programmatically can make that drop-down into a modal window. Therefore ctrl+v will not ever work there. Which is why they most likely provided the right-click method so that people can copy from, and can paste to, the hex color box.

In short, instead of a work-around, it is likely the only option from a programming perspective to provide that functionality to the end-users.

Take care, Mike

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Thank you Mike for your time and answer.

Michael Janik

Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:23 AM