Entry Point Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an older MFC app that was probably developed using VS6 and I am now maintaining it in VS2005 and everything works fine. A user tried running it on a Win2000 based machine and got a dialog named,

Entry Point Not Found and a message,

The procedure entry point I_RpcExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library RPCRT4.dll.

Anyone know what this means?

A new one for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:43 PM

Answers

• Try the following.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=%2B%22I_RpcExceptionFilter%22+RPCRT4&FORM=MSNH

I found one thread that might help.

Does any of the event logs show a problem when that happens?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:17 PM
  •  

Well it appears that some part of your code or possibly inside another DLL that your application uses is trying to use the function "I_RpcExceptionFilter" in the DLL "RPCRT4.DLL" but the DLL on the Win2000 machine does not contain that function.  Since you mentioned the problem occurred on a Win2000 machine my first guess would be that functions were added (including "I_RpcExceptionFilter") to the Windows "RPCRT4.DLL" after the Win2000 installer used on your machine was created.

An easy way to check if the DLL on your 2000 machine has that function is to use the free utility called Dependency Walker which among many other things will actually display function names.  You can get it here:

http://www.dependencywalker.com

You might be able to copy a newer version of the DLL over the current version that is used on the Win2000 machine and have everything work from there but that may cause some other problems too depending on how much has actually changed in the DLL.

You also can use dependency walker on the executable for your program itself too which could give you some more useful information.

I hope that helps.

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:47 AM

All replies

• Try the following.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=%2B%22I_RpcExceptionFilter%22+RPCRT4&FORM=MSNH

I found one thread that might help.

Does any of the event logs show a problem when that happens?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:17 PM
  •  

Well it appears that some part of your code or possibly inside another DLL that your application uses is trying to use the function "I_RpcExceptionFilter" in the DLL "RPCRT4.DLL" but the DLL on the Win2000 machine does not contain that function.  Since you mentioned the problem occurred on a Win2000 machine my first guess would be that functions were added (including "I_RpcExceptionFilter") to the Windows "RPCRT4.DLL" after the Win2000 installer used on your machine was created.

An easy way to check if the DLL on your 2000 machine has that function is to use the free utility called Dependency Walker which among many other things will actually display function names.  You can get it here:

You might be able to copy a newer version of the DLL over the current version that is used on the Win2000 machine and have everything work from there but that may cause some other problems too depending on how much has actually changed in the DLL.

You also can use dependency walker on the executable for your program itself too which could give you some more useful information.

I hope that helps.

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:47 AM
  •  Andy Infinadyne wrote:

It is surprising to me how many people refer to that web site as if it has something better than what we get with VS or the Windows SDK. If you read enough of that page, you will see that it "is part of several Microsoft products" and that the site was created for testing.

I think that when that web site is referred to, it should also be mentioned that there are stable and very useful versions already installed with VS and with the Windows SDK.

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:27 AM
  •  Simple Samples wrote:

It is surprising to me how many people refer to that web site as if it has something better than what we get with VS or the Windows SDK. If you read enough of that page, you will see that it "is part of several Microsoft products" and that the site was created for testing.

I think that when that web site is referred to, it should also be mentioned that there are stable and very useful versions already installed with VS and with the Windows SDK.

It is surpising to me that there are people like you who would not refer people directly to the website because Dependency Walker IS what is distributed with VS, Windows SDK, Platform SDK,etc and Microsoft actually distributes it at their website for free.  The software is one and the same EXCEPT version wise.  That website is where you go to make sure you get the latest version that is available which I think is what any proffesional would want to make sure they have for all of the added features/bug fixes and other benefits.

All of this can be backed up by the following quote from the website:

Dependency Walker is part of several Microsoft products, such as Visual Studio, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Windows 2000/XP/2003 support tools (on the Windows CD), Windows 98/NT/2000/XP/2003 Resource Kits, Platform SDK, Windows DDK, Windows SDK, and MSDN.  There are also several places on the Microsoft web site that it can be downloaded from for free.  This site was created in order to distribute the latest version of Dependency Walker for testing.

What is wrong with going right to the source?  People like me don't refer others to the website "as if" it has something better than what you get with VS and the Windows SDK,etc we refer them there because IT IS better unless what MS is distributing happens to be the latest version of Dependency Walker available which I wouldn't bet any money on.  Going directly to the website also gives credit with who credit is due to Steve Miller who wrote the application instead of people just assuming MS created it.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:15 AM
  • I still think that most people would prefer to know that they already have a copy of Depends installed on their system.

Note that the program is copyrighted by Microsoft and Steve Miller is credited for developing it.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:29 AM
  •  Andy Infinadyne wrote:
    It is surpising to me that there are people like you who would not refer people directly to the website because Dependency Walker IS what is distributed with VS, Windows SDK, Platform SDK,etc

I see nothing in the VS 2005 documentation saying we should go to the web site to get it. This forum is part of VS 2005 and should assist it's users in it's use. Depends is part of VS 2005.

It is certainly reasonable to say that a later version is available in Steve Miller's web site.

Andy Infinadyne wrote:
    That website is where you go to make sure you get the latest version that is available

The VS 2005 documentation does not say that.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:39 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have not seen it run.

Someone testing the app ran into this.

Jeff

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:35 PM
  •  

Hi,

I am thinking that maybe adding that dll from a XP machine into my installer might deal with it.

Jeff

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:37 PM
  •  Hooper wrote:

Hi,

I have not seen it run.

Someone testing the app ran into this.

Jeff

If what you are saying is that you don't have access to that system and therefore you can't provide additonal information then note that we cannot either. So if you cannot clarify the symptoms and such then I cannot help and I suspect that others cannot either.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:47 PM
  •  Hooper wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking that maybe adding that dll from a XP machine into my installer might deal with it.

Jeff

Perhaps but my guess is that it won't help. If that DLL is outdated then it is likely there are others too.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:49 PM
  •  

Hi,

Yes, the only info that the win2000 OS provides is what it is saying in the popup.

Since it works fine on all other windows OS's we have tested it on, 95, XP, Vista,  the problem has to be unique to the 2000 dll.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Monday, August 27, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

The only dll that gives problems is the WIn2000, that was why I was thinking using one form a system that works  would do it.

Jeff

Monday, August 27, 2007 12:30 PM