Issue while Upgrading to SQL 2014 from 2012. " The specified Edition upgrade is not supported." RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team

I am seeing this issue while I am trying to do an in-place upgrade from SQL Server 2012 to SQL 2014. Both being Enterprise Editions I am still seeing the below error message in the Feature Upgrade checks.

" The specified Edition upgrade is not supported"

Please let me know if anyone else has faced this issue and any workarounds? I am not doing "Edition Upgrade", just wanted to upgrade same edition of 2012 to 2014.

SQL Server details that is being upgrade: 

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3368.0 (X64) 
    May 22 2013 17:10:44 
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: )

thanks

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Shanky_621

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was told that it is SQL 2014 Enterprise Edition. Is there a way to verify that? Also yes I did not select the free Evaluation or Express Editions.

Just run the setup you got for SQL server 2014 and you would reach to page where it would say enterprise or standard after that cancel the setup . Actually version number can be found from Mediainfo located in same folder where setup.exe is located but edition cannot be found by that way.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

• Marked as answer by HGottipati Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Are you sure you have enterprise edition of SQL server 2014 not enterprise evaluation edition.Can you please confirm that.You can only move from enterprise to enterprise even if you have 2014 stand edition it wont allow.

Did you ran SQL server 2014 upgrade advisor before doing inplace upgrade. You can see SQL server 2014 upgrade advisor when you click on SQL server 2014 setup.exe and installation page pops up.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Hi Shanky_621

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was told that it is SQL 2014 Enterprise Edition. Is there a way to verify that? Also yes I did not select the free Evaluation or Express Editions. 

And yes I have run SQL server 2014 upgrade advisor and it shows success. 

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Hi Shanky_621

Just run the setup you got for SQL server 2014 and you would reach to page where it would say enterprise or standard after that cancel the setup . Actually version number can be found from Mediainfo located in same folder where setup.exe is located but edition cannot be found by that way.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

• Marked as answer by HGottipati Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:27 PM