Idea of another scenario for closing Metro style apps

General discussion

• Users should stay in control, and thus it should be possible to manually close Metro style apps. Well, the big advantage of not closing these apps is that they remain instant-available and don't need to be loaded and initialized over and over again. The question becomes: Isn't there a way to bring these two things together?

How about this simple scenario: The user manually closes an app, but it is not becoming fully closed. Instead, it gets suspended like today but also removed from the list of apps that the user can swipe through. This would have the following advantages:

1) There could be like 50+ "open" (loaded) apps, but only some of them are "really open" (means: present in the list of apps the user can swipe through).

2) All the "closed" apps would be still instant-available and don't need to restart when they are opened again because their process is kept suspended (if it wasn't dismissed by the scheduler in the meantime). Something similar to super-fetch.

In this scenario, many apps can remain in memory but users don't need to swipe through like 50+ of them to get to the one they want. The same could happen in the desktop environment: The user closes a program, it disappears from the task bar but is kept loaded in memory under the hood to make it instant-accessible again.

What about this solution?

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:21 AM

All replies

• I agree. A user closing a metro app does not have to know it is only suspended. Having too many available will make the interface untenable. In the few minutes that I have been playing with the Metro interface I have had several metro apps simply stop working and not get unloaded by the Win8 OS. Another thread on this subject (that was suspended) had a MS engineer stating that only the developer version of Win8 will have the task manager available and there will be no ability to close Metro apps.

I'm sensing a certain amount of arrogance from MS that makes me nervous. I'm evaluating Win8 in part to determine where my company's development efforts will be  concentrated. I'm not certain that MS understands that this is not 1994 with the only competition being a rudderless Apple and a too technical Linux. iOS, Android, Ubuntu, and now Chrome are very successfully competing and MS needs to be competitive.

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:51 PM