How to check if VS Isolated shell 2010 is installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need to check if i have installed VS2010 Isolated shell in my system.

Which registry entry can I look up for? Can someone pl help me on this.

PS: I haven't installed VS2010, i understand that Isolated shell 2010 is a part of Visual Studio 2010.

But the requirement is I would have installed only VSIsoShell 2010 only and now I need to check if I have installed it or not.

Thanks in advance

BR

-Jacob.AA

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hello Jacob,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, because you are correct in the assertion that the Isolated Shell is present if Visual Studio is installed and if just the Isolated Shell is installed. You can't really tell the difference. Do you really need to?

You can determine if the Isolated Shell is installed in the same way that an Isolated Shell application does: look for the registry value "AppenvStubDLLInstallPath" under the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\AppEnv\10.0". The AppEnvStub.dll is the main API into the Isolated Shell. And its presence should indicate that the Isolated Shell is installed (either directly or by way of Visual Studio).

I hope that's what you need.

Bill Weinberger

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Jacob,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, because you are correct in the assertion that the Isolated Shell is present if Visual Studio is installed and if just the Isolated Shell is installed. You can't really tell the difference. Do you really need to?

You can determine if the Isolated Shell is installed in the same way that an Isolated Shell application does: look for the registry value "AppenvStubDLLInstallPath" under the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\AppEnv\10.0". The AppEnvStub.dll is the main API into the Isolated Shell. And its presence should indicate that the Isolated Shell is installed (either directly or by way of Visual Studio).

I hope that's what you need.

Bill Weinberger

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:36 PM
  • The MSDN Article states that http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932484.aspx, the following key tells the presence/absence of a shell 2010 for culture en (i.e 1033) installation.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Setup\IsoShell\1033" Name="ProductDir" Type="raw" />

Hi Bill, please correct me if i am wrong. :)

Soundararajan
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Yes, that looks correct.

But again, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. That article is specific to detecting that the "Visual Studio Shell - Isolated" product has been installed for the English (1033) culture.

If all you want to know is if an Isolated Shell application will run, then locating the appropriate version of AppEnvStub.dll using AppenvStubDLLInstallPath shoud be sufficient.

Bill Weinberger

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:45 PM