Windows XP Professional SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a professional software developer and have a question about Windows O/S.  My main experience is in Linux, but I need to develop an MFC application.  I have not used Windows for a long time.

My laptop has Windows Xp Professional SP2 installed on it from media.  It is a company laptop.  I do not have administrator priviledges on the laptop.  At the company, I believe there is even an iptables rule on the gateway that prohibits access to windowsupdate.com and there is a strict rule that nobody is allowed to get onto the internet from within Windows.

The IDS will also sound an alert if there is any netbios or Windows chatter activity anywhere on the network.  We are a 100% Linux/Mac shop.

But I would still like to use the internet from within Windows because I believe it would be helpful for MSDN.  Can somebody tell me if there is anything I can do?  I can use Firefox with an extension to forge the user-agent to avoid tripping the IDS, but I don't know how to turn off Windows' behavior of constantly searching for network shares, etc.

Please help.  Thank you.
    Thursday, November 9, 2006 9:33 PM