Contact Picker API

Question

• Hi,

I want a functionality in my app where I want to display all the contacts of People App in my Windows 8 store app using javascript.

After a lot of research, I have come across Contact Picker Class, and have also downloaded the Contact Picker sample, but despite reading a zillion times that an app contract is required to get contacts from people app to my own app, I have not seen any code or any specific process to do the required thing. 

So I would request to please provide details on how to add a contact contract to my app.

And please don't provide msdn docs links as I have already read what is to be read regarding this.

Also, one more doubt that I had was that as the people app does not have any contacts stored per se, but gets its contacts through sync of other accounts like hotmail, facebook, etc. so how do we add the modify contact or add contact functionality.

If we were to add a new contact, where would that actually be added and similarly if we were to modify a contact, so would the modification take place. Surely the details cant be modified on the facebook server if that is what we have synced with the people app...

Thanks in advance....

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to read data out of other apps. The People app is just another app.

You can use the Contact Picker to let the user pick contacts from any app (such as People) which provides them.

Your app can do the same thing the People app does and contact the user's account servers (e.g. Hotmail, Facebook, etc.) to read and edit contacts there. Check the developer documentation for the specific services you want to support for details.

--Rob

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:02 PM
    Owner
  • OK So I get it that we can't read data out of other apps. But as you have mentioned we can let the user pick contacts from an app like People which provides it.

I would like to know the exact way or code to do this. Because I read all the docs and am still at bay. Any clarity would be really helpful.

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:46 AM