none
Verify app is inside Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to verify that my app is being loaded inside Outlook? I want to make sure that nobody can get to the page outside of Outlook.

For example inside of Outlook my app's index.cshtml will show the normal app. But if a user navigates to index.cshtml directly they'll get some error message. 

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

>>Any way to check it using server side code?<<

From my understanding, the manifest in Mail App is deployed on Exchange 2013. If you have permission to load this app, you will find it in Outlook.

If someone loads the app in Outlook, it will send a HTTP or HTTPS request to Exchange server.

I'm afraid I have not found a way to check it through server side.

>>Is there some way to protect a company Outlook app from being accessed by users outside the company?<<

I think it is a deployment issue, you could get support from Technet Exchange Server forum.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 25, 2014 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

What is the message?

Which line caused this issue?

If we navigate to index.cshtml directly, any object in JavaScript API for Office (v1.1) such as Office.context.mailbox.item should be null. You could try checking these objects to verify that your app is being loaded inside Outlook.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:36 AM
  • Any way to check it using server side code? I'm wanting to protect the page that's loaded from being loaded outside of Outlook.

Basically I don't want anybody to be able to get to the app unless they are in Outlook.

• Edited by mattsmb Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Is there some way to protect a company Outlook app from being accessed by users outside the company?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Hi Matt,

>>Any way to check it using server side code?<<

From my understanding, the manifest in Mail App is deployed on Exchange 2013. If you have permission to load this app, you will find it in Outlook.

If someone loads the app in Outlook, it will send a HTTP or HTTPS request to Exchange server.

I'm afraid I have not found a way to check it through server side.

>>Is there some way to protect a company Outlook app from being accessed by users outside the company?<<

I think it is a deployment issue, you could get support from Technet Exchange Server forum.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 25, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Could you explain your scenario a little better? Sounds like you're building an internal app for a company, but are you hosting it on the intranet, or the extranet?

If extranet, you're just trying to make sure no one can access the app, who is external to the company?

There are a few ways you could do this, depending on what level of confidence you need. But if you are authenticating users of your app, any user who just navigates from the web to the HTML of your app won't be able to log in. Does that achieve your requirement?

Friday, August 1, 2014 6:45 AM