Problem with reporting service reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i'm having problems with some reports, i'm going to try to explain the scenario.

I publish reports in a report server and users can access them.

Since we updated from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2 we have experienced:

* some users run some reports and they obtain a blank report: they can't see data or header of the tablix or title at the head of the report.

* the same users in other computer can run fine the same reports

* the problem with the reports is only with some users, no with all users

* if the user has that problem with a report, and the report has filters, if the user filters the report to obtain less registers, the report works fine. If the filter is set to obtain a great number of records the reports get blank, without any message or error.

* We normally run reports from the Report Server with Internet Explorer. When a user has the problem that i was trying to explain, if he uses Chrome works fine but they work bad with Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox

Can someone help us?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hello Hanjel,

I want to check whether you still have this problem. If yes, I hope the following information is helpful to you.

From the question, it is possible that you get a blank report on your side if the result records are in huge number. I want to check whether you allow the page break on the report. If you have many records and try to render them on one page, it is possible that the connection from the browser will be timeout. If so, it is possible that you got a blank report and the browser will perhaps have a JavaScript error. In this scenario, we suggest you set the tableux or matrix a page break so that the reporting service will paginate for you and return only the records in one page, so that it can reduce the network workload, and reduce the possibility of timeout.

If you still have the problem, please tell us freely.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Edward Zhu Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:04 AM

All replies

• I have seen this behavior on the machines that use Chrome....On IE it worked just fine. 

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP,http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Yes, we had problems with Safari and Chrome users but we solved it with a change (that i can't remember) in a .dll of the server.

This problem is diferent: with Chrome always works, but with IE, Safari or Firefox depends of the number of registers.

If it depends of the size of the data can be a problem with the timeout of the report but it really doesn't take too much time executing the report and when we have a timeout problem, a message appears in the report saying it. In this case we have a blank page with no information.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:05 AM
  • OK, how much data does the report return? If you run T-SQL on SSMS does it work fast?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP,http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:12 AM
  • For this example i have chosen the user UserA and the report ReportA

If i execute the query of the ReportA in SSMS with no filter it returns 139.564 registers in 7 minutes.

If i run the ReportA in my computer with no filters it works fine.

The query has data from year 2007 since today, but UserA filters one year only. With this filter the report shows a blank page but in SSMS we see that are 33.127 register in 59 seconds.

If UserA filter for 4 months works fine, in this case we have in SSMS 13.270 registers in 25 seconds.

Thanks for helping me and sorry for my English.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hello Hanjel,

I want to check whether you still have this problem. If yes, I hope the following information is helpful to you.

From the question, it is possible that you get a blank report on your side if the result records are in huge number. I want to check whether you allow the page break on the report. If you have many records and try to render them on one page, it is possible that the connection from the browser will be timeout. If so, it is possible that you got a blank report and the browser will perhaps have a JavaScript error. In this scenario, we suggest you set the tableux or matrix a page break so that the reporting service will paginate for you and return only the records in one page, so that it can reduce the network workload, and reduce the possibility of timeout.

If you still have the problem, please tell us freely.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Edward Zhu Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:04 AM