none
Hyper-V, Failover Clustering RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I'm very new to Hyper-V and server virtualization and failover technologies in Windows Server 2008 R2, so please bear with me on this one.

I have two identical physical servers (Dell PowerEdgr R510s) that we would like to make highly available, but I don't have another machine available to use as shared storage.  Am I out of luck in terms of having a failover cluster setup without the shared storage component or is there some other option?

Ideally, we would want it where if one physical server fails, the other takes over having all the data and apps running on the other machine.  Would another option be to just make a series of Hyper-V VMs that are replicated to the other machine on a regular basis as well?  We would like to have file sharing, web services and a SQL server running on the server once fully implemented.

We have licenses to Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise available to us as far as server OS is concerned.  The storage on each server is a RAID 1 (2x500GB) setup for the OS, and 6x1TB RAID5 for the storage.  (the storage component can be adjusted as needed, as currently the servers don't have anything critical on them yet).

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks!

Joey

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:31 AM

All replies

• DAS will not be supported for shared disk, however you can still use iSCSI targets for your shared disk (or connect to SAN via HBA cards if they are installed).

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:23 PM