SharePoint 2007 Team Site Skinning RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to make a slight modification to the default master page, and having problems with my style sheet and an image.  I can brand a publishing site all day long, but having problems getting my images and css "published" so people with lower permissions can access the files.  How do you publish new files in a Team site environment???

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

Point to the correct path and ensure that all users have at least Read access to the folder where your styles and images are housed.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi Derek,

If you are using SharePoint Designer, and have checked the file out, make sure to check the file back in. Sounds simple, but it's sometimes forgotten.

If this or psdMark's response don't help, please post more details about your problem.

Best wishes,

Eric

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.

I've played around with this for a while.  I've checked out, and checked back in the style sheet and image file.  FYI....the image is referenced in the style sheet.

The skinning is working if the users have design/contribute or higher.  For some reason, Read Only or Limited Access is not working.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

As per psdMark, do all users have read access to the folder(s) where the style sheet and image are actually stored?

Eric

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:10 PM
  • HI,

Also check the permissions of master page gallery.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:07 PM
  • In this particular case, Authenticated Users do not have access to this site.  If I add it, I have to add them to the "Members" (Contribute rights) group in order to have the correct permissions to view the css changes.

If I add Authenticated Users to the "Visitors" (Read rights), the css changes do not work.

I checked the permissions on the Master Page Gallery...Just the typical groups, System Account and Viewers are there.

So...still a no go unless the user / group has rights greater than Read/Limited Access.  This seems very odd to me.  I would assume read would be good enough.

The css and image are stored on the root of the site in a folder.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Do you have access to the server? if so store the .css and images elsewhere such as the 12/TEMPLATES/Layouts/MyStuff

then in the masterpage reference your css file at /_layouts/MyStuff/mycss.css

The files there should be available to everyone.

ps. if you have multiple wfe's you'd have to put the files there as well.

-tom daly

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:01 AM