Web Deploy Publish uploads all files when deploying from different computers RRS feed

• Question

• User-553213404 posted

Hello,

I am using Web Publish with Visual Studio 2012.2 to deploy to an IIS 7.5 Server with Microsoft Web Deploy 3.5.

When I deploy my project, that has tons of files (images, js, css, dlls, etc) it uploads all files as expected for the first deploy. If I make changes to the project on the same computer I made the initial deploy, it will only upload the new or modified files, as expected.

The problem I'm having is that if I deploy new changes to the project from a different computer, It will deploy all files, like a first deploy. Then at that computer I can deploy changes normally, but I will have to upload all files again to deploy from the first computer.

This is really annoying when I have to upload thousands of files, as it takes a lot of time, compared to upload only the changed files.

I need Web Publish to only deploy the changed files regardless the computer I am working with. Do you know what could be causing this behavior and how to fix it?

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:21 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Emisand

Maybe Web Deploy considers that if files have different dates on different computers then they have to be uploaded again.

We have specific forum to deal with relevant questions about using the Microsoft Web Deployment Tool to sync or migrate sites and servers, there are more professionals in using Web Deployment Tool (MS Deploy) there, I think they can give feasible solutions for you,

Web Deployment Tool (MS Deploy) forum - http://forums.iis.net/1144.aspx

With regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:38 AM

All replies

• User-801004448 posted

I think what to be published is determinted by VS based on files on each computer.

I'm not sure how you sync files change on the two computers?

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:45 AM
  • User-553213404 posted
    Thanks for your answer. The project is stored and versioned in a GIT repository. As far as I know GIT does not preserve the files creation and modification dates and that could be the problem. Maybe Web Deploy considers that if files have different dates on different computers then they have to be uploaded again. There is any way to configure the change tracking strategy of web deploy to use a checksum instead of modification date? Thank you
    Friday, July 19, 2013 2:03 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Emisand

Maybe Web Deploy considers that if files have different dates on different computers then they have to be uploaded again.

We have specific forum to deal with relevant questions about using the Microsoft Web Deployment Tool to sync or migrate sites and servers, there are more professionals in using Web Deployment Tool (MS Deploy) there, I think they can give feasible solutions for you,

Web Deployment Tool (MS Deploy) forum - http://forums.iis.net/1144.aspx

With regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:38 AM
  • User1985864055 posted

You're correct about modification date being used to determine what needs to be uploaded. Changing that to use checksum instead is among the enhancements planned for a future release.

By the way, if you're using Visual Studio to publish and you know which files need to be updated, you can use the Kwik-publish feature to avoid uploading everything:  in Solution Explorer right-click a file to upload and click Publish in the context menu.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:37 PM