How to Increase Cores on a subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased the "Development Accelerator Extended" subscription on my Windows Azure account. It entitles me to one small compute instance and up to a 10GB SQL Azure database. My project has two distince roles: a website and a worker role. Each role has one instance defined. This creates a project with 2 Instances total. If I deploy to my "Development Accelerator Extended" subscription I am one core short for the instances. How do I increase the number of cores on this subscription? If I go to the MOCP customer portal and attempt to buy an additional core, it tries to purchase an additional "Development Accelerator Extended" subscription for $109, instead of just a "Windows Azure Core" for $59.

Bonus Question: I also have the MSDN Platform Benefits subscription which gives me one small compute instance. I can't seem to figure out how to spread my project instances over multiple subscriptions. Can this be done? Should it be? There seems to be no information available on anything but the most basic operations on Windows Azure.

Thanks,

Gerry

Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• I don't think any of the offers actually restrict how many simultaneous instances you can deploy... they just give you a certain number of instance hours free.  Have you tried deploying the application, and did you get some error?

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:19 PM
  • You need to raise a request with Microsoft Support team and they will be happy increasing the limit. Recently we had an ask to have multiple large size instance for one of our azure deployment. I raised a few equests and it was answered in couple of hours.

Another important factor is Azure billing is based on usage and not number of cores so if needed you can ask for some additional Cores without worrying about finance part :-)

You can also refer my blog for same Windows Azure - How to Increase Cores per Subscription.

• Proposed as answer by Lancers Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lancers Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Hello GerryMP,

As suggested by Steve there is no restriction for using the instances for your deployments. However, I believe you are considering cost factor.

Firstly, if you are using this subscription for Production, it is advised that you should have 2 instances for each role to ensure that you are covered under SLA:

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/faq/

If its not in production or if this is in production but does not consume more bandwidth, please use Extra-small instances and you can use 3 extra-small instances in both role within your offer benefits.

Else if it is mandatory for you to use small instances and do not want to have 2 instances for each role, you can always increase the base units for your account and you would be paying additional $110.

Please contact support for assistance to increase the base units and they should be able to guide you with the steps.

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Lancers Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:29 AM