none
Hyper-V PC's asking for activation periodically. RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Well here is an awkward problem that we ran into every once in a while.

a part of our validation tests are being performed over our Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V machines

our virtual PC's are keep on asking for activation (mostly XP and Windows7) every time we copy the clean image to start a new test cycle.

The virtual PC's copy already been activated and validated tried replacing the activation keys but still nothing do the trick.

Could anyone please consult it's a frustrating issue that prevent from our test framework to stat correctly.

Many thanks,

Ben Koifman.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi to all!

First please excuse me for my english, it's not my native language...

I have a problem, but I don't know if this is the right place to have an answer

I have built a virtual machine to use a older version of a windows xp (xp pro sp3 ita) because on that machine there are installed a lot of components for access (2K or 2K3, now I don't remember). These components are uses in an application for one client of us. It's an older application and now I need to do some manteinance.

We have not the original disk of components. The developer who made application doesn't work with us still 2 years ago.

We have the HD of the PC used by the developer. I build a VM (a VHD), make it bootable with diskpart and then copied inside the content of the original HD.

Then I set Everyone - FullControl to all files in the VHD. On that machine security is not important now...

The Virtual machine starts correctly (both in oracle VM virtual box and HyperV).

The problem is when I try to log on the VM. Afer user and password, Xp says I need to reactivate windows. If I don't reactivate I'm automatically logged out.

I think it's right, because windows find a big hardware change, from a phisical notebook to a virtual PC.

I can't activate XP with MSDN Code, and if I try to activate windows by phone, an automatic voice says me my copy is not original. But if I put the original HD on the original laptop I don't need activation.

I can't leave the HD on the laptop, because I use thah laptop for my work (I'm a developer) and the sites of the screws are being ruined . That's because I try to make a virtual HD.

The question is: How can I use may old XP on the VM?

Thanks in advice for all you can say me...

Best regards

Del Mestre Luca

Monday, August 8, 2011 1:52 PM