none
tip or experince of slower processor than requierments kinect sdk beta2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Would be grateful for any tip or experience in this... I'm planning to use Kinect SDK beta2. I have Vista so I have to move up to Win 7, the problem is my processor does not meet the recommended requirements.  Searching the net (and here) I've picked up some mentioning that it might work anyway.

It also was mentioned here under the thread "System Requirements Question Pertaining to Processors", but I don't know the results. I can't try it before buying Win 7 and I have no use for Win 7 other than this, so... any thoughts would be welcome. (I've bougth Win7 but I didn't break the package yet, hoping to have some guidance first.)

What I plan to do with the Kinect is to use it with Iclone mocap to make pretty simple movement animations on a 3D character. Don't know yet if frame rates and quality can be set to go lighter on the processor, but I won't have to have high quality in that stage, I can always make corrections after in other animation software. 

If someone has any knowledge on this and if I later will try it I'll sure put my experience up here.

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:56 PM

Answers

• then your computer will probably be fine for what you need to do. Also, you can use the XBox Kinect with the 1.0 SDK for development purposes.
    • Marked as answer by LeoWithKinect Friday, April 13, 2012 8:03 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:48 PM
  • My experience on a slower computer is that the skeleton stuff lagged. The other stuff was fine. It's still usable, but it obviously wanted a faster computer.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:16 PM
  • It works! Updated to Win 7 and downloaded all from the sdk beta site. Started and played with the Sample Skeletal Viewer (in a dark room cause it's night) worked fine. Tried the Sample Shape Game, worked!

So, now I'll just find some motion capture software alternative.

• Marked as answer by LeoWithKinect Friday, April 13, 2012 8:02 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• Sorry, forgot to mention my computer specs:

Compaq CQ61
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 2.16 GHz 2.17 GHx (don't know why it lists two nr) 3.00 GB memory

Graphic card GeForce G 103M, 512 mb, directX 10.0

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:59 PM
  • first, why are you planning to use Beta 2 and not the 1.0 SDK? There are many improvements in 1.0.

Do you have 3D animation SW on the computer already? If so, how is the performance on that?

Let me take a look through our HW config Matrix and see if we have something close to your configuration. Skeletal tracking can be perf intensive depending on how you are using it.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for your time!

It will have to be the Beta 2 variant because I have the Kinect for Xbox sensor (with an adapter), not the Kinect for Windows sensor. This seems to be perfectly allright together with Iclone and their Mocap plug-in.

I've just started to learn Blender, but I managed now to animate a character with simple moves, absolutely no problem with my computer performance, it went smooth, both when I preview it in Blender and rendered it out to an .avi. 

Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:02 AM
  • then your computer will probably be fine for what you need to do. Also, you can use the XBox Kinect with the 1.0 SDK for development purposes.
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Thanks! I will try it out and share my experiences here. (And having win 7 instead of vista is perhaps better for your nerves anyway.) 
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:04 PM
  • My experience on a slower computer is that the skeleton stuff lagged. The other stuff was fine. It's still usable, but it obviously wanted a faster computer.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:16 PM
  • It works! Updated to Win 7 and downloaded all from the sdk beta site. Started and played with the Sample Skeletal Viewer (in a dark room cause it's night) worked fine. Tried the Sample Shape Game, worked!

So, now I'll just find some motion capture software alternative.

• Marked as answer by LeoWithKinect Friday, April 13, 2012 8:02 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:56 PM