Why MS person prefer MVC than Web pages? RRS feed

• Question

• User-157580668 posted

In MSDN,

there are many MVC samples, but few of Web pages sample.

I think Web Pages is much easier to understand. But MS suggest MVC samples. not Web pages samples.

(ex : If I googled about Azure Search samples, there are no Web pages samples. Cry)

I know that both MVC and Web pages are gounded on ASP.NET, So MVC samples also indicate Web pages.

But, It's not direct teaching.

I think people love PHP because It's easy to learn. and Web pages have same attention.

MVC is not readable for me

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:03 AM

Answers

• User-782232518 posted

Talking about "easy to learn" is both subjective and useless. ASP.NET WebForms is probably the simplest to learn (just drag and drop), but when you come to modern web application development, it would show its ages.

The sample amount on ASP.NET WebForms and MVC is huge, and Web Pages (as it is relatively new) cannot compare to them. It is just a sign to match which frameworks are widely used and does not necessarily mean "preference". Consider the similarity between MVC and Web Pages (both use cshtml and Razor), I think you can easily apply the common knowledge to Web Pages. When you say "MVC is not readable", I doubt if Web Pages is more readable.

Just my 2 cents.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:55 AM

All replies

• User-782232518 posted

Talking about "easy to learn" is both subjective and useless. ASP.NET WebForms is probably the simplest to learn (just drag and drop), but when you come to modern web application development, it would show its ages.

The sample amount on ASP.NET WebForms and MVC is huge, and Web Pages (as it is relatively new) cannot compare to them. It is just a sign to match which frameworks are widely used and does not necessarily mean "preference". Consider the similarity between MVC and Web Pages (both use cshtml and Razor), I think you can easily apply the common knowledge to Web Pages. When you say "MVC is not readable", I doubt if Web Pages is more readable.

Just my 2 cents.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:55 AM
  • User379720387 posted

I have experience with WebPages (Razor C), first with Webmatrix, now exclusively with VS

It was marketed by Microsoft as the framework for aspiring coders.  I agree it is easy to read, and it is easy to see the flow of things through the various pages.

Code, sql and markup on the same page, is very convenient.

You learning curve is going to be much shorter than with MVC.

And yes there are plenty of examples and tutorials.  The place to go is www.mikesdotnetting.  And the best tutorial is "the soccer website".

WebMatrix is what you should start with, the best news is that it integrates seamlessly with Azure.  It is a no-brainer.

Webmatrix comes with SQL Compact Edition and Visual Studio and it is free. Start with the StarterSite template and you are up and running with a complete web app, and membership functionality within a few minutes.

An extra 5 minutes and your web app is live.

Microsoft has the attention span of a gnat. Expect incomplete products, missing features, poorly implemented features, poorly documented features, and tutorials/documentation that do not get updated. You won't be disappointed this way.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:01 AM
  • User-1980594115 posted

I have found that Web Pages is much easier than MVC. I have a Coldfusion background. It also has a Model, View, Controller platform, but because of the added complexity I never used it. Anyone with an ASP, PHP, etc background will find Web Pages easier and more like the coding flow they have used. There are plenty of resources available to get proficient using Web Pages, such as http://www.asp.net/web-pages. This forum is a great resource of information that has benefited me tremendously.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:09 PM