none
Concerning azure Reserved instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I migrated from azure Pay as you go to a reserved instance of Virtual machine in a bit to reduce my charges.

However after reserving the virtual machine, I still get these daily charges that I dont understand why.

Can someone please tell me why this is. I understand azure charges for software will still apply despite the VM reservation.

I am missing something please

• Edited by sake402 Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:34 AM attache picture
    • Moved by vijisankar Sunday, April 1, 2018 7:35 PM Better suited here
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:30 AM

All replies

• Is this Reserved Instance belongs to Azure Hybrid Benefit or Windows server hourly meter?

Can you little elaborate the scenario?

If you have Windows Server with Software Assurance on-premises, you can assign these licenses to the Azure RI. There will be no charge within Azure for Windows Server. You’ll be responsible for continuing to pay for the Windows Server license plus Software Assurance (called L/SA), Software Assurance (SA), or on-premises subscription as long as the Azure Hybrid Benefit is used. If you cannot take advantage of the Azure Hybrid Benefit, Windows Server will be charged when the VM is active, based on the number of cores the VM is using.

Understand how the Reserved Virtual Machine Instance discount is applied  .

If you don't have an Azure Hybrid Use Benefit on your Reserved Instance virtual machines, then you are charged for the Windows software meters.

Refer : Understand Reserved Instance usage for your Enterprise enrollment and Windows software costs not included with Reserved Instances

Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for you response.

I do not have Azure Hybrid benefit. And I use the B1S VM charged hourly

But I am still a bit confused. According to the link you sent, it say

"Reservation covers the infrastructure costs. You are charged for Windows software."

Maybe I do not know what infrastructure and windows software means in this context. The only azure service I am using is the VM

Thanks

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:09 AM
  • The reservation discount is automatically applied to virtual machines matching the attributes and quantity of the reservation, also you are charged for storage and networking at the normal rates. If you are selecting windows VM with additional software like SQL server, you will be charged for windows software and additional software.

I recommend you to create a billing support ticket (which is a free service provided by MS).
    The ticket enables you to work closely with the support engineers and get a quick resolution to your issue. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, April 2, 2018 7:39 PM