none
Compiler RRS feed

• Question

• After I write a program in Small Basic, other than saving it, can I compile it? In the sense that the resultant program can run on a computer that has not installed Small Basic.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:35 PM

Answers

• Small Basic is a Dot Net compiler.  It creates executable files (.exe) using the Microsoft Dot Net Framework.

To run a SB program on a different computer, you need to have the Microsoft Dot Net Framework installed on the computer.  You also need any required Small Basic files, such as SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:14 PM

All replies

• Small Basic is a Dot Net compiler.  It creates executable files (.exe) using the Microsoft Dot Net Framework.

To run a SB program on a different computer, you need to have the Microsoft Dot Net Framework installed on the computer.  You also need any required Small Basic files, such as SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Thanks, Rushworks! I was a computer science major some 30 years ago, for one semester, before I switched to philosophy! Now it's all coming back as I am contemplating to teach my 12-year old progamming, using Small Basic of course.

The Small Basic file I saved has the .sb extension; do I just go ahead to use the SmallBasicCompiler application file (included in the folder after the download) to compile it--and turn it into an .exe file?

Shu-Yan
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:55 AM
  • When you click 'Run' in the IDE an executable and the SmallBasic.dll should be created in the same location as your saved file. There is no need to do a separate compile step.

To run the program on another machine simply copy those two files and, assuming the .NET framework 3.5 is installed, the program will run.

Hope that helps,

Jason.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:29 PM