none
Installing WDK minimal install gets into a loop of sorts? RRS feed

Answers

• Hello,

The WDK requires Visual Studio 2019 to be installed prior to installing the WDK. This is documented on the WDK Download page for the WDK in step 1

I would recommend grabbing the Enterprise WDK (EWDK) for obtaining tools shipped in the WDK without having to install either Visual Studio or WDK. The EWDK is a standalone self-contained command-line environment for building drivers. It includes the Visual Studio Build Tools, the SDK, and the WDK. The EWDK is an ISO which can be downloaded and mounted, once mounted the dumpchk.exe tool can be found in here:

%drive letter%:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\<%ARCH%>\dumpchk.exe

The EWDK can be downloaded here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/drivers/download-the-wdk#enterprise-wdk-for-windows-10-version-1903-ewdk

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:37 PM

All replies

• I select the components I want, Eventually I just went with the defaults anyway.

Basically it downloads all of the MSI's (I have gone through it all 3 times now) , but you cannot just run the MSI's manually, that's not going to install anything, I had a fail and cache corruption error message the 1st time I ran, so I had to delete all the downloaded files, that's easy, but now it downloads all files correctly, but gets to the end of the downloads and just tells me to go to the folder to continue.

/edit

Managed to get installed, but by installing Visual Studio 2019, which I had hoped to avoid, since all I wanted was the dump check tool in my case, not the whole trolley.

automation of testing the stuff dude

• Edited by Conrad Braam Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:55 PM resolved
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hello,

The WDK requires Visual Studio 2019 to be installed prior to installing the WDK. This is documented on the WDK Download page for the WDK in step 1

I would recommend grabbing the Enterprise WDK (EWDK) for obtaining tools shipped in the WDK without having to install either Visual Studio or WDK. The EWDK is a standalone self-contained command-line environment for building drivers. It includes the Visual Studio Build Tools, the SDK, and the WDK. The EWDK is an ISO which can be downloaded and mounted, once mounted the dumpchk.exe tool can be found in here:

%drive letter%:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\<%ARCH%>\dumpchk.exe

The EWDK can be downloaded here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/drivers/download-the-wdk#enterprise-wdk-for-windows-10-version-1903-ewdk

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:37 PM
  • In case "dump check tool" == "dumpchk.exe"?

If just interested in the tools from "Debugging Tools for Windows", installation  as a "standalone component" used to be possible:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

With kind regards

Friday, December 13, 2019 11:21 AM