none
Architecting - Application/solution? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear All,

In my career, i am in a transitional stage - moving from developer to managerial position and prefer Technical Manager/Architect. To master Architecting, need to know the following:

1. Is there any certification/course to master Aplplication Architect, including UML and applying Design Patterns?

2. Can i have some sample/actual copy of 'High Level Design' and Low Level Design Document for an Application/Solution?

3. What is the difference between 'Technical Architect' and 'Solution Architect'? Or, are they same?

Thanks in advance for the advise/help.

Regards,

ravi

Friday, February 2, 2007 1:36 AM

All replies

•  The best architecture site on the net:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/skyscrapr/default.aspx

Also, here is a very informative site, you can't be an architect without looking into both these sites IMHO. 

http://www.arcast.tv/

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:49 PM
  •  

Ravi,

Hmmm... I think my response to this is really more that you need to get experience and knowledge of different implementations, based on the scenarios that they use.  You can certainly listen to Ron Jacob's ARCasts, they're a good source of different views and implementations.

To me, it's more about knowing the technical details, and gotchas than anything much else.  Grey hair from the mistakes in the past is probably a good starting point, means you've already made the mistakes, and hopefully learnt from them!

I find myself in a similar situation, although slightly different.  I often end up in roles as a developer, but performing an architecture role.  This isn't so much of a problem so long as I have time to design, instead of the pressure being applied to the development role. 

OMG do UML certifications, doing the MCPD certifications would quite possibly arm you with some knowledge that you may find useful as an architect.  You have to do the MCTS ones first, which are more developer orientated, but that's okay, if you've been doing the job a while, I'd imagine you'd not find it too tough?

High level and low level design, aka conceptual and physical designs.  A high level design is more likely to be abstract and along the lines of this "thing" will talk to this "thing" and so on, without going into great detail, more of an overview.  The physical design is what you'd be used to as a developer, one would hope?!

I hope that this helps you out,

Good luck,

Martin.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:05 AM

• Can you explain it more clearly? I still have no idea about what you said.
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Hi, this thread is more appropriate for The Architect Role forum. I'll move it there. Thanks.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:05 PM