none
WinCE 6.0 booting problem ( updating to WinCE 6.0 from WinCE 5.0) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

i have working device which is having winCE5.0 installed with my application. 

System Information_____:

Currently, we have WinCE 5.0 running in SBC(single board computer) 
    having (LV or ULV Intel® Celeron® processor with intel 815 chipset) , which is running well.

my Requirement_______:

i am upgrading system to WinCE 6.0

i need to load the WinCE 6.0 in SBC. We are facing the issue in loading WinCE 6.0 in that SBC. 

i have built the WinCE 6.0 OS image(NK.bin) file using Platform builder 6.0(by selecting board specific BSP), 
    and loaded the NK.bin file in board.

Problem_____________:

After initial “Windows CE loading.........” screen, the screen turns black.

Process_____________: 

i am booting nk.bin using bootable Flashdrive

BIOS version: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

my Guessing________:  

As per our initial findings, we thought that there is problem in loading display driver that cause the screen to turn black. 
    We have updated the source code of WinCE 5.0 OS image to exclude display driver dll into final image. 
    We were able to reproduce the black screen issue in SBC boards for WinCE 5.0 as well. 
    this makes us guess that issue is with display driver ( but not sure).

Can anyone assist me in this matter?

Thanks 

• Edited by hiteshposhia Friday, January 26, 2018 10:39 AM update
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi hiteshposhia,

You will need to get a proper BSP for CE 6 and port your CE 5 solution (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/embedded/jj733455(v=winembedded.70)).  I recommend starting with your Silicon Vendor and your Microsoft License reseller for assistance.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:44 PM
  • hiteshposhia

Some serial debug output would help us help you.  Also, what BSP are you using?

There are many reasons why the boot up might end with a black screen, things that I can think of:

1. Display driver - but you can use the VGA driver and rule that out
    2. no Application draws on the display - this is very popular, if you don't run the explorer shell or your app doesn't start, then black screen.
    3. Other driver fails to return from XXX_Init()
    4. HKLM\Init not set up correctly (very rare)
    5. An app - really your app - stared by HKLM\Init doesn't call SignalStarted()
    6. nk.bin is corrupt

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Enginer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Synopsys DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for
    Synopsys

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:32 PM