none
Creating Searchable .pdf files RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to create .pdf files that are searchable (not one big image) from Expression Design 1. 

Expression Design seems to output most everything as an image, which makes any resultant .pdf unsearchable. 

I am making an online .pdf book.  I use one .design file for each page and use other tools to combine all the exported files into a large .pdf.  Currently I am exporting as .tiff then using .tiffs in an old copy of Photoshop to make the .pdfs.  Straight exporting to .pdf from Expression makes for too large of files.  But regardless of which way I use to get the final .pdf, it is not searchable.  My readers need to be able to search for text in the resulting document. 

So I was thinking that maybe exporting to XAML might retain the text.  Are there any tools that read the XAML and can export a .pdf?  Can Microsoft Publisher 2007 read XAML files and allow me to keep the text I wrote in Expression Design?  Would Blend do it?  I have not really looked at Blend much, but doubt it exports as a good .pdf. 

I am hoping that Publisher 2007 might read XAML and then export .pdfs that are good and contain searchable text, not just images.  Does anyone know of a product that reads XAML and exports .pdfs? 

Any other ideas of how to get a searchable .pdf out of Design? 
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:48 PM

All replies

• Sorry, GameVein, but Design doesn't do searchable PDF. Are you familiar with the Connect web site? You can file a request for the feature there. Choose the Report a Bug link and submit your request. All requests are read and considered.
    Annie
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:33 PM