Passing a class method as a parameter of another class's method RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have 2 classes named A and B and I would like to pass in one of the method (e.g.public sub aa) of Class A, as a parameter in a method found in Class B (e.g. bb(aa)).

Is that possible to be done in VB.net and If so, could anyone provide me an example of it as a references.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Regards,

Hemingway11

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Hemingway,

Class A
       Public Sub aa()
       End Sub
    End Class
    Class B Public Sub bb(ByVal action As Action) action() 'calls the delegate pass as a param End Sub End Class

Call:

Dim a As New A
          Dim b As New B

b.bb(AddressOf a.aa)

May I ask why you need that?

Armin

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Hemingway,

Class A
       Public Sub aa()
       End Sub
    End Class
    Class B Public Sub bb(ByVal action As Action) action() 'calls the delegate pass as a param End Sub End Class

Call:

Dim a As New A
          Dim b As New B

b.bb(AddressOf a.aa)

May I ask why you need that?

Armin

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Hi Armin,

Thanks for providing me the codes and it works!

However, I have trouble applying this concept into my project.

Basically, I am trying to create a button with "Dynamic" event handling capabilities. In details:

I have 2 classes as shown:

"Hello_World" Class : Class that is used to create a "Hello World" button and "attach" the event of showing "Hello World" prompt.

"UserButton" Class : Class that declares, creates and instantiates the button based on the parameter given (in this case: from "Hello_World" Class)

May I know if this concept of mine is feasible. If so, can you quote me a reference as I am facing difficulties  passing my event method in it.

Class A
       Public Sub aa()'--> Event sub
       End Sub
    End Class
    Class B
        Protected Sub AttachEvent(btn As Button)
            AddHandler btn.Command, AddressOf bb '--> How can i get the Sub  bb to be used here since it now contain parameter of action type for Action?
        End Sub
       Public Sub bb(ByVal action As Action)
          action()  'calls the delegate pass as a param
       End Sub
    End Class
    Call:
          Dim a As New A
          Dim b As New B
          b.bb(AddressOf a.aa) '--> pass in event sub to B

HeiMingWay11

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi Hemingway,

I have some problems in understanding your plan. In class B, you execute AddHandler, Sub bb being the handler. I expect 'action' to be the handler. No class creates the button. Which one is the Hello_World class and which one the UseButton? A or B? I'm not sure how the description matches the code example.

The type 'Action' is a delegate. It has no parameters. If you want a delegate matching an event handler, you can use one of the predefined event handler delegates. For example, the  delegate type Sytem.EventHandler fits the Click event handler.

At the moment, I have no clue, what's your intention. Could you please describe it once more? Thx.

Armin

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hi Armin,

Thanks again for your kind assistances and sorry for my bad for not descrbing the qns explicitly.

Actually I can creating something  whereby a class named "Hello_World" is being called, It would then build the control specified in it and add in the event method that is written in it to the created control.

Below are the codes which I had created for your referral. Hope it is much clearer this time :)

Class Hello_World Public Sub Hello_World(ByVal pnl As Panel) Dim ctl as New UserControls ctl.SetButton(Pnl, "btnHelloWorld", "Hello World", BtnClick) ' How can I pass in the BtnClick event mehtod? End Sub Protected Sub BtnClick(ByVal Sender as Object, ByVal e As CommandEventArgs) MsgBox("HELLO_ WORLD") '--> Event to be attached to the control created (which is the button) End Sub End Class

Class UserControl
        Public Sub SetButton(ByRef pnl As Panel, ByVal id As String, ByVal text As String, BtnEvent)
            Dim btn As New Button
            btn.ID = id
            btn.Text = text

pnl.Controls.Add(btn)
            'Add Event Handling Method to Click Event
            AddHandler btn.Command, AddressOf btnEvent '--> How can i get the Sub  btnEvent to be used here?
        End Sub
    End Class

HeMingWay11

• Edited by HeMingWay11 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Try this

Option Strict On
    Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ButtonAdder.AddbuttonToForm(Me, New Button, AddressOf Button1_Click)
            Dim Eh As New EventHandler(AddressOf Button1_Click)
            ButtonAdder.AddButtonToForm2(Me, New Button, Eh)
        End Sub
        Public Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
            MsgBox("This Works Perfectly.")
        End Sub
    End Class
    Class ButtonAdder
        Public Shared Sub AddbuttonToForm(ByVal Form As Form, ByVal Button As Button, ByVal ClickEventHandler As Action(Of Object, EventArgs))
            Form.Controls.Add(Button)
            AddHandler Button.Click, EventHandlerFromMI(ClickEventHandler.Method)
        End Sub
        Public Shared Sub AddButtonToForm2(ByVal Form As Form, ByVal Button As Button, ByVal ClickEventHandler As EventHandler)
            Form.Controls.Add(Button)
            AddHandler Button.Click, ClickEventHandler
        End Sub
        Public Shared Function EventHandlerFromMI(ByVal MethodInfo As System.Reflection.MethodInfo) As EventHandler
            Dim EventHandlerType As Type = GetType(eventhandler)
            Dim ConvertThisDelegate As System.Delegate = System.Delegate.CreateDelegate(EventHandlerType, Nothing, MethodInfo, False)
            Return DirectCast(ConvertThisDelegate, EventHandler)
        End Function
    End Class

If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.

• Edited by Paul Ishak Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi Armin,

Thanks again for your kind assistances and sorry for my bad for not descrbing the qns explicitly.

Actually I can creating something  whereby a class named "Hello_World" is being called, It would then build the control specified in it and add in the event method that is written in it to the created control.

Below are the codes which I had created for your referral. Hope it is much clearer this time :)

Class Hello_World Public Sub Hello_World(ByVal pnl As Panel) Dim ctl as New UserControls ctl.SetButton(Pnl, "btnHelloWorld", "Hello World", BtnClick) ' How can I pass in the BtnClick event mehtod? End Sub Protected Sub BtnClick(ByVal Sender as Object, ByVal e As CommandEventArgs) MsgBox("HELLO_ WORLD") '--> Event to be attached to the control created (which is the button) End Sub End Class

Class UserControl
        Public Sub SetButton(ByRef pnl As Panel, ByVal id As String, ByVal text As String, BtnEvent)
            Dim btn As New Button
            btn.ID = id
            btn.Text = text

pnl.Controls.Add(btn)
            'Add Event Handling Method to Click Event
            AddHandler btn.Command, AddressOf btnEvent '--> How can i get the Sub  btnEvent to be used here?
        End Sub
    End Class

HeMingWay11

If you declare "ByVal BtnEvent As EventHandler" you can write

AddHandler btn.Click, BtnEvent

IN class hello_world:

ctl.SetButton(Pnl, "btnHelloWorld", "Hello World", Addressof BtnClick)

and

Protected Sub BtnClick(ByVal Sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

EDIT: The bolded parts are still not displayed correctly.

Armin

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:39 PM