• Question

• My only computer is a laptop whose system specs are:

HP Pavillion DV9700

Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2.0Ghz

3GB DDR2 667 RAM

Nvidia Geforce 8600m GS 512MB GPU

2 x 120GB 7200RPM HDD's

Windows Vista Home Premium

I am more than willing to invest the money to upgrade to Windows 7.  I cannot upgrade my processor.  I recently viewed a post entitled "Connect Kinect to a netbook", and the responder appeared to give the green light to the person purchasing the power adapter for the Kinect's use on a netbook.  I am under the assumption that netbooks are not nearly as powerful as their laptop counterparts due to utilization of the Intel Atom processors (I am not an expert on this topic, so please do not eat me alive).

Will the Kinect SDK install and work on my laptop if I upgrade to Windows 7 while the processor is still below the system requirement listing (2.0Ghz vs. 2.66Ghz)?

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• If you are able to run Windows 7 well, you should be able to use the SDK, but we can't guarantee that it will work in your setup.

We set the hardware requirements at 2.66GHz dual core because that's the lowest setup in which we've tested thoroughly enough to be able to be confident that it will work. Please keep in mind this is a beta and testing has not yet been as thorough as it would be for a final product.

I'm not going to recommend that you go and spend money to upgrade your setup, since I can't guarantee it will work, but if you do decide to do it and try out the Kinect SDK, we would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:48 AM

All replies

• It should install I would think. I just assume there might be some performance issues when working with the SDK, but only time will tell.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:05 PM
  • If you are able to run Windows 7 well, you should be able to use the SDK, but we can't guarantee that it will work in your setup.

We set the hardware requirements at 2.66GHz dual core because that's the lowest setup in which we've tested thoroughly enough to be able to be confident that it will work. Please keep in mind this is a beta and testing has not yet been as thorough as it would be for a final product.

I'm not going to recommend that you go and spend money to upgrade your setup, since I can't guarantee it will work, but if you do decide to do it and try out the Kinect SDK, we would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:48 AM