Persistent Navigation Bar in XAML

Question

• How do I implement a persistent navigation bar. Basically an app bar that cannot be dismissed even by the right click action. MS as referred to this in this article ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn440584.aspx ) when discussing the flat navigation in the calculator app and also here ( http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/05/13/windows-store-refresh-makes-it-easier-to-find-apps/ ) when reviewing changes to the windows store app in windows 8.1

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• Calculator appears to be a single page, probably using a custom pivot control. It neither looks nor acts like an app bar.

If you want separate pages you can get a similar effect by putting your bar commands directly on the page and putting a Frame underneath. When the user chooses a tab navigate the frame to the desired sub-page.

• Marked as answer by Meyozo Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:37 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 12:36 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Meyozo,

What language and UI are you using for your app so we can help you find the right forum? In general you'll just include a panel of some sort with your navigation controls at the top of the screen rather than using an AppBar, but the details will depend on the type of app and how it is written.

The UI Design forum is for discussing what the app should look like, not how to implement that look.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:48 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the response Rob. I'm using C# and XAML. I'm trying to implement a navigation bar that is essentially similar to what exists with the windows 8 calculator app - it is persistent and cannot be dismissed, and is shared across all pages.
    Friday, January 30, 2015 12:13 AM
  • You may try set top bar sticky to true.i do not think calc uses app bar.

You may  use a stack panel with several buttons stacked horizontally.

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:28 AM
  • Calculator appears to be a single page, probably using a custom pivot control. It neither looks nor acts like an app bar.

If you want separate pages you can get a similar effect by putting your bar commands directly on the page and putting a Frame underneath. When the user chooses a tab navigate the frame to the desired sub-page.

• Marked as answer by Meyozo Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:37 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 12:36 AM
    Owner