none
Logical disk performance counters not working on Windows 2008 server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a physical Windows 2008 Server x64 with 5 disks: one for the operating system and the other 4 used in a striped volume (~3.6 TB, drive E:).
    I have a 1 TB database on drive E and I am backing it up on the same drive.
    In Reliability and Performance Monitor, I can see that the disk activity is most of the time between 200-360 MB/s, with some drops from time to time. If I go down to Performance Monitor and I add counters for the logical drive E:, most of them are 0 all the time, including Disk Bytes/sec, Disk Read Bytes/sec, Disk Write Bytes/sec, Avg Disk Bytes/Transfer, Avg Disk Bytes/Read, Avg Disk Bytes/Write, Avg Disk sec/Transfer, Avg Disk sec/Read, Avg Disk sec/Write and both Current and Avg Disk Queue Length.

I have been using the performance counters from a long time on all previous Windows versions but they seem to not work (properly) on Windows 2008.

Is this a bug ? Is it not properly handled because of the disk size or type, since the counters seem to behave better on drive C ?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:52 PM

All replies

• Sorry for my late reply, I haven't check this thread in a while...

In case you are still interested in, I can provide more info, but what details would you like to see?

As I said, there are 4 x 931 GB (1 TB disks model WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1) configured in a software (using Win 2008 Server Manager->Storage) striped volume.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:01 PM