none
How to disable or make invisble a splash screen pop uped from a third part API using VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently we are challenging an issue in one of our Excel add-in application. Basically we have created an add-in in the excel application which interact with the server to fetch data to the excel. The server is Asset Control server which uses relational database and time series data to store prices. To interact the server we use AC COM API 1.4 (Asset Control API) from the VBA code of excel add-in. 

The AC COM function which is used to connect the server from our custom VBA code looks as below:

Dim ObjManager As Manager    

Set ObjManager = Nothing
        Set ObjManager = New Manager

ObjManager.Connect oNewConfig.Server, _
                        oNewConfig.userName, _
                        oNewConfig.Password, _
                        oNewConfig.QueryAddress, _
                        oNewConfig.UpdateAddress, _
                        oNewConfig.Timeout, _
                        oNewConfig.Timeout, _
                        0, _

But whenever we invoke the above function we get a popup which displays splash screen saying AC-Com Version information. As it is a splash screen there is no control button on the screen like close button.

We checked with Asset control if it is possible to avoid this by any means while calling the connect function. But they confirmed us there is no such option.

So, I want to know if it is somehow possible in our custom VBA code to suppress this popup so that it is not visible to user.

Is there anyone who has done such experiment by any chance. Quick response will be highly appreciated.

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• That type of operation is insane not to say annoying.  I would be more forceful and say I want (demand) a version that does not do that.  You are the customer and the customer is always right.  It would be a 5 minute task for them to add an option. 

I thought about redirecting the display during the call but that solution has too many risks.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:12 PM
  • If the asset control program is displaying the splash screen, there is nothing Excel VBA can do.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for your responses... We already raised a concern to the Asset Control. Just for curiosity we wanted have a check if by any means we can achieve that in our custom VBA code. I am not a VBA expert and so, thought of this forum would be the best to get an answer.

Appreciate your time and suggestion folks.

• Proposed as answer by Rod Gill Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:34 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:39 AM