none
DUA submission CAB gives "Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x80096005)" RRS feed

• Question

• I just submitted a USB driver resell submission.  The only changes were to change the USB PID & description in the inf.  Everything seemed to go ok through the submission process and the final result shows 'Approved'.

However, when I download the signed cab and then test the driver installation (Windows 7 x64), I get a message about the drivers being unsigned.

Looking in the setupapi.dev.log file I see:

Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x80096005)
    Error 0x80096005: The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed.

Looking at the cat file it has a valid digital signature from 'Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher' going back to 'Microsoft Certificate Root Authority'.

I did the successfully in 2008, and have compared the cat files and the digitial signatures look very similar.

I'm guessing the next step is to check the cat file hashes against the driver files, but I did not sign these (the OEM did) and I downloaded the files from the dashboard, so they should be the correct version.

Any ideas?

Friday, April 5, 2013 8:28 PM

All replies

• I've checked the cat file and the thumbprints / hashes are the same as the original driver submission.  For text files they are the same as what I can generate using hexeditor, but for binary they are different (I don't think this is the cause).

I've tracked 0x80096005 down to a certificate time-stamp error TRUST_E_TIME_STAMP "The time stamp signature or certificate could not be verified or is malformed."  If I check the cat time-stamp it looks fine. I think it has something to do with the certificate revocation list.

• Edited by xennex1 Monday, April 8, 2013 8:23 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:37 PM
  • The final solution was that was something wrong on Microsoft's end - support re-signed the cat file, and that fixed it.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 11:06 PM