Showing Interface Implementation

Question

• Lets say that I have created an interface in my project and I have 2 classes that implement this interface. Is there a way to display this in the Class Diagram similar to the way it shows classes that inherit from an abstract class? I couldn't find it. I found that if I changed my interface to an abstract class the diagram would automagically draw the nice little line to all the classes that inherit it, but if I change it back to an interface all those nice little relationship lines go away.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:05 PM

Answers

• In VS 2005 there won't be a line drawn from the class to the interfaces that it implements. 

However, you should see a lollipop shape on the class with labels for all the interfaces that the class implements.  You can right click on the interface name and invoke the "show interface" command.  This will bring the interface on to the class diagram.

Adding support for showing lines between a class and the interface it implements is one of the highly requested feature that is on top of our list for future versions.

Thanks,
    Ramesh Rajagopal.
    Class Designer Team.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:01 AM

All replies

• In VS 2005 there won't be a line drawn from the class to the interfaces that it implements. 

However, you should see a lollipop shape on the class with labels for all the interfaces that the class implements.  You can right click on the interface name and invoke the "show interface" command.  This will bring the interface on to the class diagram.

Adding support for showing lines between a class and the interface it implements is one of the highly requested feature that is on top of our list for future versions.

Thanks,
    Ramesh Rajagopal.
    Class Designer Team.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:01 AM
  • This still cannot be done with Visual Studio 2008.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Nor in Visual Studio 2010 for that matter.
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Not even in Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate... I wonder when and in which version will they implement such an simple feature request.

"Adding support for showing lines between a class and the interface it implements is one of the highly requested feature that is on top of our list for future versions." - dated to year 2005....

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:49 PM