none
Expression Web 2 is deleting code upon import - unwanted behavior RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a client website that was originally built with FrontPage 98. It is a large and complex site with many includes to make up just one page. The problem is, if I ftp the file from the server and open it in EW2, EW2 blows out about 7/10s of the code leaving me with a useless page with just a bunch of include "bots." Is there any way to set up EW to leave the code alone and let me see the complete original coding as it was on the server? I am hoping there is a setting that I can change to affect this behavior. FYI: I am upgrading to Studio 4 shortly. Thanks so much!

Happy Holidays

Bradford G. SeeMyBiz Website Design and Management
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are getting the page, but not downloading the Include files.
    Create a site on your PC (if you have not already done so) and Publish the entire site to it. EW2 does not normally delete code from a FrontPage site, but will delete the code from included files unless those files are present in the (local) website. All versions of Expression Web and FrontPage will do the same.

If the site uses shared borders (not the same thing as includes), then remove them before opening any pages in Expression Web 4 - EW4 will trash pages that use shared borders. EW2 is safe.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:28 PM