Load test results: Failed Tests vs. Errors? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to interpret the results of a load test in vs2005.  The 'summary' panel area shows counts for the total number of tests and 'Failed Tests'.  I am trying to reconcile what this means with the details when I look at the results in the tables view and look at 'Errors'.  In my example, my load test ran 65 total tests, with 10 showing as failed.  When I look at the errors, there are 13, mostly timeouts.  I know the errors are recorded at the request level, but is there a good way to reconcile between the errors reported and the reported number of failed tests?

Thanks for any help...

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:41 PM

Answers

• If you are looking at the tables view, you can look at the requests or tests  tables.  If a particular test or request failed, you will see a link in the failed column.  Clicking on that link will show you the errors for that test or request.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:33 PM

All replies

• If you are looking at the tables view, you can look at the requests or tests  tables.  If a particular test or request failed, you will see a link in the failed column.  Clicking on that link will show you the errors for that test or request.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:33 PM
  • The tests table shows counts for the total number of tests, number passed, and number failed.  These numbers match what is in the summary panel.  There is no link to details for the tests that failed.

The requests table also shows a failed count, the sum of which matches the number of errors reported, but not the number of 'failed'.  I guess what this means is that a single execution of a test can generate multiple errors that all count as one in the 'failed' count.  Next question - if a test shows an error, is it possible that it does not count as failed?

Looking at this in more detail now in response to your suggestion, I think it is confusing that the terms 'failed' and 'error' seem to be used where they should not.  The requests table where it shows 'failed' is really a count of errors, not failures.  I just need to keep in mind that errors happen at the request level, failures are at the test level.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:19 PM