none
MS-SMB v1.0 CIFS hyperlink broken RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi all,

I just noticed that the hyperlink in to the Leach CIFS draft in MS-SMB is broken. It is given as http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/protocols/BSTD/CIFS/draft-leach-cifs-v1- 
    spec-02.txt, but this simply redirects to the main protocols page

That said, it would be handy if the content from the Leach draft was merged into MS-SMB to make a single SMB document. Is there any chance of this?

cheers,

James Peach
    Friday, October 24, 2008 3:53 PM

Answers

• James,

Thanks for raising the issue of the broken link.  This issue has been submitted and a fix will be included in a future update to the MS-SMB document.  We are not planning on merging the CIFS spec and the SMB spec. We are planning on releasing a major rewrite to the CIFS spec to make it more complete and clean up ambiguous statements in the specification. Unfortunately due to the size of the work, we won’t be able to release it until next year. Please submit any further issues in the mean time.

Richard Guthrie
    Escalation Engineer
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:49 PM

All replies

•  Good morning James. I have alerted our Protocols Support team concerning your questions. One of our team members will be in contact with you soon.

Regards,
    Richard Guthrie

Escalation Engineer
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Without saying anything out of place, I am sure a more official answer will be forthcoming. It was my impression that work is currently taking place to update the Leach spec and fix the many known errors in that document
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:00 AM
  • James,

Thanks for raising the issue of the broken link.  This issue has been submitted and a fix will be included in a future update to the MS-SMB document.  We are not planning on merging the CIFS spec and the SMB spec. We are planning on releasing a major rewrite to the CIFS spec to make it more complete and clean up ambiguous statements in the specification. Unfortunately due to the size of the work, we won’t be able to release it until next year. Please submit any further issues in the mean time.

Richard Guthrie
    Escalation Engineer
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:49 PM