Problem to deploy database to windows azure sql database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to upload my sql server database to azure sql database.f I followed the steps in Carl Rabeler's article(https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-cloud-migrate-compatible-using-ssms-migration-wizard/).

When I tried to connect to server, I got an error message:

Cannot open server XXX requested by the login. Client with IP address 'xx.xxx.189.105' is not allowed to access the server.  To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range.  It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 40615)

When I run the EXEC sp_set_firewall_rule @name = N'FILESERVERFirewallRule', @start_ip_address = 'xx.xxx.189.105', @end_ip_address = 'xx.xxx.189.105', I got an error :

"Msg 2812, Level 16, State 62, Line 1
    Could not find stored procedure 'sp_set_firewall_rule'."

I am using sql server 2014 standard version. The ssms is 12.0.2000.8, windows 10 pro.

Would you please to tell me how to fix the problem?

BTW, in sp_set_firewall_rule @name = N'FILESERVERFirewallRule', FILESERVER must be my local computer's name? 

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:51 AM

Answers

• against which server are you running sp_set_firewall_rule? this must be run against Azure SQL

the firewall rule name can be anything, nothing to do with your computer name.

have you tried adding your ip via the portal instead?

• Marked as answer by peter 9 Friday, May 20, 2016 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:14 AM

All replies

• against which server are you running sp_set_firewall_rule? this must be run against Azure SQL

the firewall rule name can be anything, nothing to do with your computer name.

have you tried adding your ip via the portal instead?

• Marked as answer by peter 9 Friday, May 20, 2016 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Hi JuneT,

I have found the place to add a firewall rule in the portal. It solved my problem.

Thank you.

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:08 AM