Install SP2 for Expression Web 4 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I gave up looking for the Expressions Forums.  If there's a better place, please redirect me.

I'm trying to install SP2 for Expression Web 4, neither the Windows Update or Stand Alone installer work.   When running the stand alone update, I get the following error (below).  I noticed that the certificate used to sign WeComn.cab expired 3/7/2011.  I've seen other comments that says that shouldn't batter for a code-signing certificate.  Just me?

7:40:31 PM Sunday, February 19, 2012: Info: Config_Products_InstallNew: Product: Microsoft Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2 Params: c:\a6404f3f76e963f8e3aaea6e98138d\Setup\WebSP2_en.msp ADDLOCAL=ALL REINSTALL="**********" REINSTALLMODE="**********" MSIUNINSTALLSUPERSEDEDCOMPONENTS="**********" PATCHINSTALLARPENTRY="**********" INSTALLLICENSES="**********" APPID="**********" APPID="**********" ARPNOMODIFY="**********" ARPNOREPAIR="**********" USERACCEPTSEULA="**********"
    7:40:37 PM Sunday, February 19, 2012: An error occurred installing the WebSP2_en.msi package. Error: A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file D:\download\microsoft\SW_DVD5_Expression_Studio_Web_Pro_4.0_English_Core_MLF_X16-89027\Setup\WeComn.cab has an invalid digital signature.  This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt..
    7:40:38 PM Sunday, February 19, 2012: Error: Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2 (failed): Fatal error during installation. Stack:    at Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.Installer.ApplyPatch(String patchPackage, String installPackage, InstallType installType, String commandLine)    at XSetup.MspPackage.ConfigureNewInstall(Product product)

• Edited by AR5 Monday, February 20, 2012 2:05 AM forgot version number
    • Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:02 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:04 AM

Answers

• Thanks SystemX for giving me the link to fine Expression community. 

KathyW2, do you not have anything else better to do than inform people how this isn't MS Technical Support?  Believe it or not, SystemX provided me with support by pointing me in the right direction (even though I posted in the wrong forum).  That led me to another thread with the same problem that helped me actually solve the problem.  I consider that support.  The same thread that had the answer in it also contained one of your canned responses on how this wasn't support and an unnecessary comment about the problem.

In the end the problem IS related to the expired certificate in the .iso from Microsoft.  A file Windows Installer needed has an expired certificate and it doesn't like this during Windows Update or a manual update process.  The file is there, and I re-downloaded the .iso again, same problem.

The only solution is to uninstall and then install the 'trial' version install.  Your activation remains even though you removed your original product and then installed a 'trial' version.

Trial version of SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87d98075-a40b-40b8-86bc-38e7a7606ca4

• Edited by AR5 Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by AR5 Friday, February 24, 2012 3:57 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi AR5, below is the link for the expression forums. I kindly suggest you post your question there, or maybe a moderator can move this thread for you. Anyhow, here is the link below, there are users who are posting about setup issues too.

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/general/threads

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Hi AR5,

From your description, I'd like to move your thread to "Expression web and preview forum" for better support. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:05 AM
  • This isn't MS technical support.  Please read the "Forum FAQ .. Start Here" thread near the top of the forum for anything known about problems, and for how to contact MS for actual support.

Adding: I'll point out that if you download a file and get "This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.", shouldn't the first thing you try be to believe that?  Re-download it.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Thanks SystemX for giving me the link to fine Expression community. 

KathyW2, do you not have anything else better to do than inform people how this isn't MS Technical Support?  Believe it or not, SystemX provided me with support by pointing me in the right direction (even though I posted in the wrong forum).  That led me to another thread with the same problem that helped me actually solve the problem.  I consider that support.  The same thread that had the answer in it also contained one of your canned responses on how this wasn't support and an unnecessary comment about the problem.

In the end the problem IS related to the expired certificate in the .iso from Microsoft.  A file Windows Installer needed has an expired certificate and it doesn't like this during Windows Update or a manual update process.  The file is there, and I re-downloaded the .iso again, same problem.

The only solution is to uninstall and then install the 'trial' version install.  Your activation remains even though you removed your original product and then installed a 'trial' version.

Trial version of SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87d98075-a40b-40b8-86bc-38e7a7606ca4

• Edited by AR5 Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by AR5 Friday, February 24, 2012 3:57 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:26 AM
  • AR5,

If you read the "Forum FAQ", you'll see why I say that.  And my response rate on helping people is one of the highest in this forum, so, no, it's not that the only thing I have time for is to tell people that this is not MS technical support.  It's to set the correct expectation, which those of us who have been on this forum for years know is often needed.

I'm glad a forum search helped you find a solution.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:12 AM
  • I'm not the only one with this problem, and if it helps another Expression user, mission accomplished.  Your reply didn't help one bit, and the reason I said something is that two of the other posts related to this had your exact replies in them as well.  What are the odds that the two links I clicked on had the same canned response? 

This problem is annoying and the solution is simple and people should know how to fix if they want.

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:57 AM
  • It's a canned response from several of us.  The fact that is is not MS technical support is in the FAQ for a reason.  As you can also see in the FAQ, by the way, you could have had your problem solved by Microsoft support, which was why I pointed you there.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:24 AM
  • AR5

Don't get discouraged with the forum as a result of a few bad apples who would rather chastise you than help you. The forum needs to rid
    itself of some 'negative' rules and those who delight in chastising others for breaking them. Some members are unable or unwilling to address technical questions outside web page design.

I have a suggestion for you that worked well for me. Microsoft Support apologized to me for my similar experience. They suggested
    that I type the problem in the search box rather than ask for forum help. You will typically find good knowledgeable forum members who have helped others with your problem without experiencing the wrath (abuse). This method has worked perfectly for me. If your issue is a corrupted installation, Microsoft will probably waive all fees for their support.

If you continue to receive reprimands, contact Microsoft Support and complain. They will take your complaint seriously. They have pushed my complaint through Microsoft channels. I also plan to push it up to Microsoft senior management. Forum members need to understand that they are there to help others. A caustic culture at the forum will only serve to discredit the forum and Microsoft, and drive customers
    elsewhere.

Ron

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Very helpful.  I've been wrestling with this for quite a while.

I share your annoyance with those whose replies consist of nothing more than a
    lecture about posting to the wrong forum. 
    If someone is cross posting something to every forum, I can understand,
    but yours clearly wasn’t.  My feeling is,
    if I knew the correct forum to post to, I would.  In the time it took to lecture me about
    incorrect posting, you probably could have told me the correct forum

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Ah, here we go again... Kathy didn't give a lecture, or say that it was the wrong forum; she simply (quite correctly) pointed out that this isn't MS tech support. In the recent contentious thread that sprang from the post by rllng, Jim Cheshire (a MS employee and forum moderator) made this comment: "I have no problem with anyone saying, "Please read the 'Start Here' post. If you still have a question after reading that, let us know!" I often wonder why folks don't just put together a nicely worded recommendation to do so and just use it in all responses that require it. Instead, I often see posts that are *long* and intended only to scold someone for not doing so."

Now, that's exactly what Kathy did, and she told him that this isn't MS tech support. After all, what is the second point in the "Start Here" post? Oh yeah... 

"Is this forum a Microsoft technical support forum?
    No. This forum is a peer-to-peer forum for Web designers and users of Microsoft Expression Web. The users who post on this forum are volunteers who are helping other Expression Web users out of an interest in helping the community of Web designers."

Now aside from that, before making nasty comments about Kathy's attitude, and implying that she is neither knowledgeable nor helpful, feel free to view her profile. At this moment she has 23,290 points (the highest total of anyone on this forum). Of the replies she has posted, an astonishing 1,281 have been marked as answers, and another 888 as helpful. That amounts to nearly a quarter of her replies! If you still feel that she isn't helpful, I'm assuming that you won't want her assistance when it comes to actually using EW (as opposed to installing it). I will also assume that you will feel the same about Scott and Cheryl and Bill and those few other "bad apples" that actually answer questions here. I trust that without those losers interfering, all the EW experts will jump in to solve your problems in a polite fashion.

As for me, I don't consider myself in that class of knowledge and skill, but I have learned enough to be helpful fairly often. I share the regulars' annoyance with newcomers getting their shorts in a bunch and calling us rude, unhelpful, and worse, while having done absolutely nothing themselves to benefit this forum. My reward for participating here is satisfaction in helping. However, if I am personally flamed for my efforts, or see people who I respect flamed for theirs, there is no satisfaction. No satisfaction, no incentive to participate.

My personal solution - and one that I hope other regulars do also - will be to make my own "naughty and nice" list. In the ultimate display of politeness, from now on I will refrain from making any comments in threads posted by those on the naughty list. I will begin immediately compiling my list from this thread. I trust that will meet with your approval.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:35 AM