none
Determine which Intellisense mode is turned on. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

i write an intellisense presenter extension for c# and i need to know if the suggestion mode or the auto complete mode is turned on.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Cheers,

Martin

Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To toggle between completion mode and suggestion mode, press CTRL+ALT+SPACEBAR or click Edit/IntelliSense/Toggle Completion Mode.

From MSDN, we see suggestion mode is available in Visual Basic and C#. There is no possibility to turn on suggestion mode on C++ IntelliSense (both in VS 2010 and 2012).

You can read this blog "IntelliSense Suggestion Mode".

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hey,

thanks, i know how to turn it on or off by myself. The question is how i can find out in my visual studio plugin if it was turned on by the user or not.

Monday, July 7, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

From Visual Studio 2010, the extensibility APIs you want to at are under the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Languages.IntelliSense namespace.

To tell the truth, I didn't come across exchange the suggestion mode and the completion mode. However, I'd like to assist this issue with you. I think the APIs under Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense Namespace must help.

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Languages.IntelliSense namespace

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualstudio.language.intellisense.aspx

And this blog may help.

http://blog.robertgreyling.com/2010/05/sparksense-getting-started-wheres.html

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Hey,

thanks again for your help. I know already both sides and they helped me alot, but they don't help me with my problem. I tried another way to determine the state of the auto completion mode, but i'm stuck there too.

I tried to get the direct MenuCommand from the visualStudio Toolbar. I found the following:

<Button guid="guidVSStd2K" id="cmdidToggleConsumeFirstMode" priority="0x0000" type="Button">
            <Icon guid="guidToggleCompletionMode" id="1"/>
            <CommandFlag>DynamicVisibility</CommandFlag>
            <CommandFlag>DefaultInvisible</CommandFlag>
            <CommandFlag>DefaultDisabled</CommandFlag>
            <Strings>
              <ButtonText>&amp;Toggle Completion Mode</ButtonText>
              <MenuText>&amp;Toggle Completion Mode</MenuText>
              <ToolTipText>Toggles between suggestion and standard completion modes.</ToolTipText>
              <CommandName>Toggle Completion Mode</CommandName>
            </Strings>
          </Button>

The only thing i have not found is the "value" of "cmdidToggleConsumeFirstMode", which is needed to create the "CommandId" and with the right "CommandId" i can probably get the "MenuCommand" where i can check if its checked or not.

Can you help me with that.

Thanks,

Martin

Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:54 PM
  • I know this is a bit old, but does anyone have any idea on how to find the value of  cmdidToggleConsumeFirstMode

Or any other pointer on how to manage to automatically set the value of Completion Mode at startup?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:18 PM