Migrating SharePoint 2007 Site Collection to SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I was wondering what would be the easiest way to accomplish this.  I want to migrate one site collection in MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010.  The Site collection in MOSS 2007 has its own contentdb.  I've already performed a full backup of the contentdb and moved and restored it onto the SQL 2008 server for SharePoint 2010.

Here is where i'm a little confused.  I was doing some research on how I can accomplish this by using powershell or stsadm.  Most of the examples i've found suggest I create a new Web App.  However, I don't need nor do I want to create a new Web App, I want to use the existing web app, and just migrate the new site collection over in its own contentdb.

Would it be easier if I created a new contentdb in SharePoint 2010, took all the other contentdbs offline, and created the site collection (which would result in writing to the contentdb that is online), and then do a restore on that contentdb with the contentdb I moved from MOSS 2007?

Or what would be the best way?

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thank  you,
    JShidell

v/r JShidell
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:38 AM

Answers

• Also found out how to fit the look and feel of MOSS 2007 to look and feel like SharePoint 2010.  For those that are interested.

On the Site Collection that was migrated to SP2010 go to "Site Actions" -> "Site Settings" -> "Modify All Site Settings" and under "Look and Feel" click "title, description, and icon" there will be three toggle buttons for Visual Upgrade (Use the Previous user interface, Preview the updated user interface, and Update the user interface).

If you select the "Update the user interface" toggle and hit "ok" the MOSS 2007 site collection will have the look and feel of SharePoint 2010.

Thanks

v/r
    James Shidell

v/r JShidell
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, April 1, 2011 3:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:55 PM

All replies

• Okay figured this out.  After copying the contentdb from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010.  I had to run this stsadm command on the SharePoint 2010 server:

stsadm –o addcontentdb –url enter your url –databasename enter your db name

The outcome isn't pretty because the site collection still has the MOSS 2007 look and feel to it, but none the less it migrated over!

Thanks,

v/r
    JShidell

v/r JShidell
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Also found out how to fit the look and feel of MOSS 2007 to look and feel like SharePoint 2010.  For those that are interested.

On the Site Collection that was migrated to SP2010 go to "Site Actions" -> "Site Settings" -> "Modify All Site Settings" and under "Look and Feel" click "title, description, and icon" there will be three toggle buttons for Visual Upgrade (Use the Previous user interface, Preview the updated user interface, and Update the user interface).

If you select the "Update the user interface" toggle and hit "ok" the MOSS 2007 site collection will have the look and feel of SharePoint 2010.

Thanks

v/r
    James Shidell

v/r JShidell
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, April 1, 2011 3:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:55 PM