Editing a file in Blend 4 do not trigger get latest from TFS2008. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a setup with Blend 4 and VS2010 projects operating against TFS2008.

Checking out a file in Blend before editing will trigger a get latest from TFS if there exists a newer version of the file.

However if you just open the file in Blend 4 and begin editing then when you checkin you have not got the latest changes from TFS and you might loose data.

Do someone know a solution to this.   

Thanks

Per

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• "Checking out a file in Blend before editing will trigger a get latest from TFS if there exists a newer version of the file."

I don't believe that is a true statement. I just tested that here on my local machine and an edit in TFS is just an edit, it does not force or imply a get operation. If you want to have the latest version you need to run a get operation separately.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:27 PM
  • I do not use Blend so I asked again and the answer was that when they right click on a file and select check out they get the latest file from TFS.

Working in Visual Studio 2010 we do get latest from TFS even when trying to edit a file.

(In the options dialog for VS2010 we have set Source Control -> Enviroment -> Editing as Check out automatically.)

Regards

Per

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Is your server set up in some special way to force that behavior? As far as I know that isn't the default, as it would probably be very confusing.

In VS for example, on your first keystroke, the file might change entirely, be deleted, renamed, or change on the line you just tried to type. I don't know of any source control system that works this way (I am sure there is one, I just am familiar with the big ones).

In Blend (as well as VS) there is a separate command to get the latest version, if you want to be working against the latest changeset you will want to be sure you execute the get command on your entire solution. 

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:29 PM
  • When you open a solution and select a file you might get the following dialog when tou start to type:

Then you get the lates file from sourcesafe and the file is checked out to you.

To get this behavior you have to enable get latest on check-out.

This is a TFS setting (Open Team Explorer in VS2010 and right click on your project and select Team Project Setting -> Source Control..) and thats how we want it - allways work on tha actual code.

However Blend do not seem to care (maybe because we use TFS2008 )

Regards

Per

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:29 PM