Publish asp.net web application having VB.NET as code behind to Ubuntu Linux 16.04 RRS feed

• Question

• User-391330446 posted

Hello Experts !!

I am not sure if this question is relevant to this group, however still looking for an answer as I am a newbie and stuck in deploying my asp.net web application using vb.net in code behind to Ubuntu Linux 16.04.

I have searched a lot on web and every search result corresponds to the development and deployment of an asp.net c# web application developed using asp.net core.

However, I have an asp.net web application which has VB.NET in code behind and trying to publish this project to Ubuntu Linux 16.04.

Is there any way or procedure to do this ? Looking for an expert's advise.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:21 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

AFAIK you can use VB.NET but it needs to be ASP.NET Core. "Code behind" sounds like if you are using Web Forms and ASP.NET 4.x ?

Edit: according to https://devblogs.microsoft.com/vbteam/visual-basic-in-net-core-3-0/ you need ASP.NET Core 3 (currently in preview). Is this what you are using ?

Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:57 AM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi VB Vishal,

Is there any way or procedure to do this ? Looking for an expert's advise.

According to your description, I suggest you could consider using docker to achieve you requirement.

Docker is a tool designed to make it easier to create, deploy, and run applications by using containers. Containers allow a developer to package up an application with all of the parts it needs, such as libraries and other dependencies, and ship it all out as one package. By doing so, thanks to the container, the developer can rest assured that the application will run on any other Linux machine regardless of any customized settings that machine might have that could differ from the machine used for writing and testing the code.

You could generate a container with the linux and publish it to the linux, then you could run docker with the asp.net container on the Ubuntu Linux.

More details about how to create a dokcer and run it on linux, you could refer to below article:

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/PublishingAnASPNET5AppToDockerOnLinuxWithVisualStudio.aspx 

Best Regards,

Brando

Friday, March 1, 2019 2:33 AM