none
WE7 and DirectShow Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We've created an application that uses live feeds from external camera. The camera is connected to Osprey video card (we're using the latest drivers).

The application works under Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1.

When we run the application under windows standard 7 Embedded we cannot get a feed. If we tested under AMCap we get the following error: Cannot run Preview Graph

After some searches on the internet, we found this related to DirectShow component.

We're using a dual-boot computer with the following OS:

• Windows 7
    • Window 7 Standard Embedded - based on Application Compatibility template

Each of the OS placed on separated partition, as explained, the application works under Windows 7 and NOT under Embedded. DirectX 11 is installed on each OS

Accordingto this post the DirectShow is not supported under embedded systems - true?

Can you please help what can I do to get a video feed \ make DirectShow works?

Thanks!

Roy

R.R

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:10 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure this a right answer. But you can try to add "Still Image Acquisition Driver" to check it work or not.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Try running tap on Windows 7 and import the PMQ file into your Answer file in ICE. Still image Acquisition Driver should be one of the drivers, but there maybe more.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:57 PM

• Sean Hi,

From your answer(s), there is no way making the WE to work with the given templates unless we create a custom one..?

In case of creating new template, I need to combine window 7 and WE 7 to get the Video capture (which uses DirectShow) to work..

Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Roy

R.R

Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:16 AM
  • The templates are just examples. They may not pull in all the drivers that are needed to run. The Non-core-in box drivers are separate packages to pull in the ones needed for your system, you need to run TAP.

From my books, I recommend installing Windows 7 on the target and install al the devices. Then run tap to capture the list of devices in the system. This way you know WES7 will work since Windows7 works and you have a better change of capture the drivers that come with Windows.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:20 AM
  • Hello Sean

I'm working with Roy on this subject also.

we have tried what you suggested,

we ran tap on the windows 7 installation found on a different partition.

we created a new Answer file and imported the PMQ file the tap generated,

then we validated and selected all the features that were presented when errors came up in he validation window.

after the image was fully validated we created an IBW Image with full distribution.

we installed that image but we still could not get any video feed from the camera.

and we also needed to install the video card (osprey) again.

we then saw this post http://reboot.pro/topic/16383-windows-embedded-standard-7-add-packages-on-a-live-image/  which suggest installing some packages using "dism"

i have installed the following packages :

• WinEmb-INF-hdaudss.cab
    • WinEmb-INF-image.cab
    • WinEmb-INF-ks.cab
    • WinEmb-INF-kscaptur.cab
    • WinEmb-INF-ksfilter.cab
    • winemb-inf-usbvideo.cab
    • WinEmb-INF-wdmaudio.cab

and performed a restart to the machine, but we still could not get any live video feed from the camera.

was the image created correctly ? are we missing something?

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:27 AM
  • What kind of the interface of OSprey video card? mini-PCIE or PCIE? I tried to setup ADlink RTV-24 (PCIE interface) on the WES7, and it's work. 

I add the "Application compatibility" template,  "DirectX and Windows Device Experience" and import PMQ only.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:50 AM
  • When you ran TAP, was the Osprey video card installed and working? It needs to be installed and working for TAP to capture the non-core-in-box drivers you added via dism.

Even though you added the missing packages, you may still have to add the language package since all packages are language neutral.

When you add the missing driver packages and re-build the image, what happens?

FYI - book covers these details: http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:55 PM
  • good news,

we finally managed to find the missing component, it was the media center core.

we found it by running process hacker in windows 7 on AMCap and saved all the modules it uses (just a reminder the video capture works in win 7).

we then restarted and selected the windows embeded, there we ran the process hacker and AMCap, after checking the modules we found "ksxbar.ax" is missing, after some googling we found it at "winemb-mediacenter.cab"

as a first step we used dism and added this package, after restrat the viedo capture started to work.

we then returned to Windows 7 and created a new answer file with application compatibility and maually added media center. we resolved all validation errors and we created a IBW image.

i used that image to create a new windows installtion and after adding missing drivers the video capture worked.

it took too much time and effort for find the missing component, was there a simpler way to find the missing component?

is there a better solution?

• Proposed as answer by Liran Dobrish Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:51 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:51 AM