none
BizTalk Server SQL Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a receive location which polls data from the SQL database every one hour. But when i restart the host instance associated with the Receive location, SQL adapter polls the data irrespective of the polling interval. How to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance:)

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Prashant ,

I doubt you can control this behavior but why you are restarting the host instance on regular basis .

If this is something to do with the cleanup task then create separate host instances for your sql polling operations  and leave it running . 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:14 PM
  • So, when the Receive Location gets Enabled it will always Poll - that is the default behavior. Following this, the polling interval will be respected.

So, as already pointed out, you will have to take care to minimize restarting the Host Instance for this Receive Location.

Thanks Arindam

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi Prashant,

Yes, that is the expected behavior. The polling interval will reset of the host instance restarts (or the location disables / enables). 

As a best practice:

- Assign dedicated host instance to receive location polling SQL and try to minimize host restarting.

- Set receiveTimeout to the maximum time 24.20:31:23.6470000. 

- Place WCF-SQL receive locations in separate host to provide its own thread pool and eliminate impact on other processes
    - Ensure WCF-SQL dedicated host instances are restarted at interval less or equal to receiveTimeout to flush threads and memory

Refer: http://geekswithblogs.net/paulp/archive/2010/05/17/139876.aspx

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:11 PM
  • What you are seeing is the correct and expected behavior.

The Adapter polls every interval from the first operation, which is when the Receive Location is Enabled either in BizTalk Administrator or by Host Instance Start.

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Prashant ,

I doubt you can control this behavior but why you are restarting the host instance on regular basis .

If this is something to do with the cleanup task then create separate host instances for your sql polling operations  and leave it running . 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:14 PM
  • So, when the Receive Location gets Enabled it will always Poll - that is the default behavior. Following this, the polling interval will be respected.

So, as already pointed out, you will have to take care to minimize restarting the Host Instance for this Receive Location.

Thanks Arindam

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi Prashant,

Yes, that is the expected behavior. The polling interval will reset of the host instance restarts (or the location disables / enables). 

As a best practice:

- Assign dedicated host instance to receive location polling SQL and try to minimize host restarting.

- Set receiveTimeout to the maximum time 24.20:31:23.6470000. 

- Place WCF-SQL receive locations in separate host to provide its own thread pool and eliminate impact on other processes
    - Ensure WCF-SQL dedicated host instances are restarted at interval less or equal to receiveTimeout to flush threads and memory

Refer: http://geekswithblogs.net/paulp/archive/2010/05/17/139876.aspx

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:11 PM
  • What you are seeing is the correct and expected behavior.

The Adapter polls every interval from the first operation, which is when the Receive Location is Enabled either in BizTalk Administrator or by Host Instance Start.

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:41 PM
  • Is there any system performance issue if the number of host instances are more?
    Monday, January 16, 2017 9:41 AM