Certifying app for non-public service? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application about to graduate from Beta and I'm wondering how the Store certification will proceed when the application is a frontend for a system that requires 3rd party username/password (Section 5.1.4 of the requirements)? I'd prefer not to give my own credentials up for testing (and I can't have a random person trying out the functionality in a random way).

Thanks in advance,

Nik

Monday, November 4, 2013 12:55 PM

All replies

• You're going to have to provide credentials - either yours or some testing credentials.  I'm not sure what other response you are looking for.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:20 PM
  • OK. Remind me never to develop a nuclear missile launch application for the government ;-)
    Monday, November 4, 2013 3:44 PM
  • For line of business applications you should consider: Company app distribution for Windows Phone.

-Eric.

Monday, November 4, 2013 11:04 PM
  • It's meant for public distribution but I would expect situations like these would be quite common where it's a breach of contract to give your credentials to someone else or there is no actual test environment. My case is in that category although not that serious. Still, there is some functionality (messaging, error reporting) that I would have to warn people in advance so that they are not acted upon.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:41 AM
  • I'm trying to envision a scenario where you don't have either testing credentials or a testing environment but you still have authority to write an application to access the resource.  All of them involve a third-party environment where the end user is paying for access.  That means you would need to create (and pay for) a new account for the testers.  Otherwise I don't see that you'd have the correct permission to do this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Well, the App is a front-end against a web site used by schools in Finland as a means of school-parent communication. I'm working without the support of the company that developed the backend system. Sort of just an alternative client. So the test procedure would be something like

1. Breed, producing a Finnish citizen (female not provided by app author)

2. Raise kid for seven years (money not provided by app author)

3. Enroll kid in Finnish education system

4. Test app

5. Divorce (pay 11 years of alimony, money not provided by app author)

(note, you can skip from 1 to 5 but make sure you regain custodian status. Also note that Finland is high in the list of registered firearms/population)

And it still takes 7 years to certify the app ;-)

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:27 PM