There is not enough virtual memory available RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following "There is not enough virtual memory available. Please save your work and restart {0}" as seen in the picture below very frequently in Visual Studio 2013. It often occurs as soon as I start Visual Studio so restarting doesn't help. I first started noticing this error when I upgraded from Visual Studio 2010 to 2012. It seems to be happening much more frequently in 2013. Only 40% of my 8gb of memory is currently being used and this is occurring in on Windows 8. Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Visual Studio is a 32-bit program, so it can't take advantage of more than 2GB of physical RAM at one time. Have you disabled or reduced the size of your page file? You can set it so that the system manages the size for you: how_2d00_to_2d00_change_2d00_the_2d00_size_2d00_of_2d00_virtual_2d00_memory_2d00_pagefile_2d00_sys_2d00_on_2d00_windows_2d00_8_2d00_or_2d00_windows_2d00_server_2d00_2012

(I don't know why that URL is so... wrong.)

--
    Andrew

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Thanks. I have not messed with the page file settings. It is currently set to let the system automatically manage the page file size. I should have mentioned that devenv.exe is hovering around 330mb.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Thanks for Andrew’s help.

Hi sfitzp2,

Based on the error message, I doubt it is not the VS Edit issue. It seems that it is related to the hardware.

Maybe you could use some tools to check all processes’ which use a lot of virtual memory, and close or remove them. Check it again.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2013/02/02/powertip-finding-processes-that-use-a-lot-of-virtual-memory.aspx

Do you install different VS versions in the same machine? Not the real VS setup expert, but as far as I know, if we install two or more VS versions in the same machine, I think it would have high requirement for the window configuration. So if possible, you could remove one and use it in different machine, I often install one or two VS in one machine. I install VS2012 and VS2010 on a windows 8, it works well in my side. Maybe you could move other big tools which take high memory in your machine, and make your virtual memory is free or improve the hardware.

But if we make sure that it is not the hardware issue, to make sure that whether it is the VS IDE issue, one idea is that you could remove and re-install your VS, check it again.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Thanks for the powershell syntax. It does seem to provide a clearer picture of virtual memory usage. You can see virtual memory usage during one of the times I saw the error in the picture below. I do have several versions of Visual Studio installed (2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013) but I am seeing this error when I only have Visual Studio 2013 running. My system is well above the minimum requirements for Visual Studio 2013 so I have trouble seeing how that would be the problem. Thanks for the input. I think I'll just deal with the dialog for the time being.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi sfitzp2,

Thanks for your response.

I do have several versions of Visual Studio installed (2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013) but I am seeing this error when I only have Visual Studio 2013 running.

If you install four VS versions in the same machine, I’m afraid that it would impact the performance. Do you mean that you just open the VS2013 IDE (not open apps in VS2013)? You don’t open any apps with others VS versions, am I right? If so, maybe it is related to your VS2013 setup.

Please close other processes which take high memory in your side. Open your VS2013, check it again.

If possible, you could repair VS2013. And then you could run your VS in safe mode: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278(v=vs.120).aspx.

Have a nice weekend,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:57 AM
  • I have the same problem that is described by the OP here. I'm certain the computer is not the issue (23GB of memory available, with 9GB used). I have 2012 and 2013 installed and when I ran into the issue I using 2013 exclusively. We've been able to determine that this happens for users that are editing XAML (it doesn't matter if you have ReSharper installed or not, I don't, my colleague does). Others that don't edit XAML haven't run into the same problems.

It is possible that this is somehow related to ShadowCache (I'm unable to post links for some reason) as well? I don't know if these issues are related or not, but they are both problems that we're having (again, only those of us that edit XAML).

--Akshay

Monday, November 4, 2013 2:21 PM
  • I am doing a lot of XAML editing as well.

For what it's worth, I checked my ShadowCache folder and it was using 41GB! However, after deleting the contents of the folder the error still occurred. I find I get a bunch of the error dialogs pop up at once immediately after a build completes.

Monday, November 4, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Hi sfitzp2,

So it still has this issue if you repair your VS2013, am I right? Maybe you could clear out some temp files in your side like the following blog, check it again.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dougste/archive/2008/08/11/clearing-out-temporary-asp-net-files.aspx

I find I get a bunch of the error dialogs pop up at once immediately after a build completes.

Do you run an app in VS2013 now? What real errors do you get in your side?

Best Regards,

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Repairing VS2003 did not resolve the problem. The "Tempory ASP.NET Files" folder on my computer is empty.

I use VS2013 to build/run/debug a few applications. I am not sure what you mean by "real errors". The error dialogs I was referring to was the virtual memory error dialog in my original question.

I have been trying to pay attention for a reliable way to reproduce it. As I said before, I often get one or more of the dialogs after a build but it doesn't occur consistently. It occasionally happens when reloading the XAML designer but it also occurs at seemingly random times.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi sfitzp2,

Sorry for no help to you.

If so, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, please share me the link here, so we could know the latest information from the product team expert. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:09 AM
  • I have created a connect report here.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 12:51 PM